Tuesday, February 26, 2008

TELL ME A STORY

My children, particularly the middle (and most word-loving) Andrew, adore it when I tell them a story. This is far different than reading a story from a book, this is a living breathing thing that changes and grows depending on the moment of the telling.

I wish I was better at telling stories. I wish I had that gene that Kathryn Tucker Windham has. Or the one my father has. You know that one that lacks all self-consciousness and uses voice and inflection and suspense to really make a story come alive?

Well, I try. But I much better at putting words on a page than pulling them out of the air. If I could, I would totally take this class!

"No one in the world knew what truth was until someone had told a story."

-Rudyard Kipling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?