Sunday, November 14, 2010

MEET WALDO THE JUMPING DRAGON

One of the things I discovered during our Girls Weekend Devoted to the Preservation of Memories was that one of my early favorite books was WALDO THE JUMPING DRAGON. I loved it so much that my mother brought it with her for my 18 month photograph session. Here I am "reading" it.

How strange and wonderful, because I have no recollection of this book! But, I thought, surely my psyche does. And being a writer, I am all about delving into the psyche.

So. I contacted my friend Jim Reed, booklover/writer/owner of more memorabilia than can possibly fit into one room (but somehow does) at REED BOOKS and said, hey, can you find this book for me?

Jim answered within minutes and said simply, "I'm holding it in my hand."

JOY!! He didn't have to hunt for it, he already had it there on his shelves, waiting for me.

I picked it up right away. And what I found was a whimsical tale with lots of action (I mean, come on, Waldo is a JUMPING dragon, after all), and an ending that made me think, yes, this has definitely been in my psyche all along.

Here's one of my favorite pages:



Which brings us to our prompt in celebration of FAMILY STORIES MONTH:

Share a story about a favorite childhood book.

Tell your story!

3 comments:

  1. Hands down, my favorite book as a little kid was THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS BOOK, STARRING ME, GROVER. I still love it! And my daughter, who is now four, has adored that book for years. Her copy is all worn from loving it:) Cute post! And what an adorable wee Irene you were!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Irene, and I do believe those early favorites somehow stay rooted in our psyches forever, ready for the day when they will jump again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this book when I was little! And I had two dragons, Waldo and Corfy. Now, they were really blankets that I'd "ride" by putting them between my legs and walking/running so they'd trail behind. Waldo was the pink one and Corfy was the blue one. I have no idea where the name Corfy came from.

    But it's a great book! Kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?