Tuesday, December 4, 2012

On Writing for Fun... and Playing Golf

I guess when I say, "writing for fun," what I mean is, writing not necessarily for publication.

It doesn't make the job any easier -- it's still a job.

It does help me loosen up a bit and take more risks. When I tag the work as "just for fun," I can be brave and experimental. I can be bad.

And it helps me better accept the nature of writing for publication, which, I think, is very much like playing professional golf:



“Golf’s hard. Good gold is damn hard, and championship golf is so hard only a select few ever comprehend it. It’s a cruel game. Think about it. A hundred and forty-four people play in the tournament, and a hundred and forty-three of them are going to lose. That’s tough. The game chews you up, spits you out, and steps on you. It’s those who get up and dust themselves off that make it. But that’s how it should be. If it were easy, everybody would do it.”

- Claude "Butch" Harmon, Jr., THE PRO

Oh, and maybe - just maybe - there's a professional golfer in my wip. :)



1 comment:

  1. Much less pressure for sure if one says 'just for fun'. Great point, Irene. We had a friend a long while ago who wanted to be a pro, but the money also is a challenge. If you don't win anything, you have no money to do the circuit. It is, like Harmon says, tough. Thanks for the analogy.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?