Monday, February 10, 2014

Movie Monday: PHILOMENA

Every year we try to see as many of the movies nominated for Oscars as we possibly can. This past weekend we were fortunate enough to see PHILOMENA.

I'm interested in pretty much anything Dame Judi Dench is in, and when I heard this movie was about a woman searching for the baby that was taken from her 50 years earlier, I knew I needed to see it. (My parents were foster parents, and I chose foster care/adoption as my specialty in social work.)

But the movie was so much more than that! It chronicled an unlikely friendship. It provided much to ponder about faith and evil and forgiveness. It made me really miss the wonderful older ladies I have loved and lost: my grandmother, my mother-in-law, my grandmother-in-law (the real-life Ludelphia). It explores man's inhumanity to man... or in this case, the nuns' inhumanity to young girls.

It's a special movie. I can totally see why it's nominated. I hope you'll go see for yourself!

Nominated movies we've seen: American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Gravity, Her, Philomena

Movies we still need to see: Dallas Buyers Club (on video), Nebraska (on video Feb. 25), 12 Years a Slave (on video), The Wolf on Wall Street (in theater)

1 comment:

  1. Just give me the Lifetime channel... it's a cheap cry and I don't watch all a movie anyway... it takes about three times for me to see every frame

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?