Saturday, April 30, 2016

ARTSPEAK! 2016: "Garden Rabbit's Dream"

WELCOME to the final poem of my National Poetry Month poem-a-day-project ARTSPEAK! in which I respond to images found in the online collections at the National Gallery of Art. Woohooo! We made it!!

It's also the final day of our 2016 Progressive Poem. Wow! Be sure to visit Donna at Mainely Write  to read the last line.


 This year's ARTSPEAK! theme is "Plant. Grow Eat." It was inspired by the release of my latest book FRESH DELICIOUS: Poems from the Farmers' Market.
Here are the poems so far:

"These Al Fresco Summer Nights" after Repast in the Garden by Edouard Vuillard
"Strawberry Basket" after Strawberry Basket by William Spiecker
"When We Meet in the Garden" after The Artist's Garden at Argentheuil - A Corner of the Garden with Dahlias by Claude Monet
"Sunday Afternoon" after Madame Monet and her Son by Auguste Renoir
"Let Us Now Praise Leafy Things" after The Gardener - Old Peasant with Cabbage by Camille Pissarro
"Just Like the Garden" after On the Fence by Winslow Homer
"What Grapes Say" after Plate by Dorothy Posten
"A Dream of Wheat" after Field of Green Wheat by Vincent van Gogh
"Fruit Jar" after Fruit Jar by J. Howard Iams
"Child in the Garden" after The Artist's Garden at Vetheuil by Claude Monet
"Math Lesson (from the Garden)" after Still Life with Lemons and Oranges wit Blue Gloves" by Vincent van Gogh
"Gardening Basics" after The Watering Can/Emblems: the Garden by Roger de La Fresnaye
"Mary in the Garden" after Reading in the Garden by Pompeo Mariani
"This Wheelbarrow" after A Woman Emptying a Wheelbarrow by Camille Pissarro
"A Dream of Sheep" after Warm Afternoon by Winslow Homer
"Harvest" after The Last Days of Harvest by Winslow Homer
"Anticipation (in the Garden) after George Moore in the Artist's Garden by Edouard Manet
"Gathering Fruit" after Gathering Fruit by Mary Cassatt
"Bread's Lament" after Boy with Basket of Fruit by an unknown American artist
"After the Fire" after Ruined Farm by Hubert Robert
"Cow at the Gate" after Landscape with Open Gate by Pieter Molijin
"I Am the Plate" after Still Life with Milk Jug and Fruit by Paul Cezanne
"Courtship (According to the Cat)" by Winslow Homer
"Courage" after Planting Corn by Stanley Mazur
"Orchard Barber Shop" after Gardener Pruning a Tree by Jacques Callot
"Gardener's Companion" after The Watering Can by Georges Seurat
Today's poem is inspired by a garden ornament. I wasn't sure what this rabbit had to say until I worked with it a while.... and somehow it ended up another "dream" poem! (My 3rd this series.)




Garden Rabbit's Dream

My whiskers twitch
when you're not watching –
my ears flick
like weather vanes.
My eyes grow
round
and rounder,
I hippety-hop
along the row.
Sometimes I nibble
cabbage.
Sometimes I nap
amid the squash.
When the sun shines,
my coat turns to rust.
But when the moon glows
I dance!



5 comments:

  1. Love this bunny poem! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Irene! I've used the images from your posts as poetry prompts too and have had such a nice month. Plus I've enjoyed your lovely poems. Of course I got your new book, Fresh Delicious. The perfect book for spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My eyes grow/round/and rounder" -Love this poem, Irene. I can see that rabbit dancing in the moonlight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciations for the lively
    idea of a garden bunny
    under the dancing
    spell of moonlight, Irene.
    Love this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are not friends with Cynthia Lord on Facebook, you must be. She is posting videos and pictures every day of a littler of bunnies. It's adorable and such a refreshing thing to see in your feed.
    Anyway your poem reminded me of these little baby bunnies learning to hippety-hop.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?