Friday, June 11, 2021

Margot Says Hello to Spring (poem)

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Carol at Carol's Corner for Roundup.

Sometimes when I have only a few minutes, I turn to old favorite poems as mentor texts to jumpstart my writing. Such was the case this week, when yesterday, upon returning from a most lovely week away from home, I needed to write another ArtSpeak: FOUR SEASONS poem. I used "Summer Stars" by Carl Sandburg as my mentor text and set it to a gorgeous piece by Mary Cassatt. Thank you so much for reading.


Margot Says Hello to Spring


Grow with me,
afternoon of spring blossoms.
So friendly you are,
garden of spring blossoms,
So friendly, a girl in a hat
can swim in blossoms,
wade across oceans
of splashy colors,
So friendly you are,
spring blossoms,
So friendly, waving,
                       waving,
So warm and brave-waving.

- Irene Latham

8 comments:

  1. So much here I could comment on! How you can start with a theme and actually write a poem about it! How you always seem to choose just the perfect piece of art! And then there's the whole deal of actually being able to find a mentor poem and imitate it! You never cease to amaze me! I especially love "brave-waving!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene, I love the repetition--spring blossoms, waving, like a whole springtime in one poem. I do not remember ever reading the Summer Stars poem by Sandburg. The warm repeating lines are like a lullaby. I'm going to bookmark this inspiration to try myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I love all the repetition...makes it cozy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet picture and the tone of your poem shows it, Irene, swimming and wading "across oceans/of splashy colors! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the "brave-waving." I feel like we have all done a lot of brave-waving this year. (Feeling reflective on our last day of school with kids.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a happy, happy poem from the happy colors in Margot's portrait. I love it...crossing oceans of splashy colors, here I come! Wheeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love his "hum-strumming" and your "brave-waving." Both sound like something Klynt would come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irene, your poem beautifully pairs with the painting and Sandburg's Summer Stars! I love the voice, repetition, and especially theses lines "can swim in blossoms, wade across oceans of splashy colors," and "So warm and brave-waving." Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?