Friday, July 23, 2021

Instructions for a Sunwashed Sunday (poem)

 

Beautiful 13!
Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Kathryn Apel for what's sure to be an inspiring Roundup. 

I'm away from my desk this week—celebrating my little sister's 13th birthday and also helping my mom through hip replacement surgery. (!)

For my latest ArtSpeak: FOUR SEASONS, I totally should have written a "girl time" poem, but maybe that will come later! 

Instead I am again focusing on weather... it's been a rather wet summer here in the Alabama foothills! Thank you so much for reading.

OH. And I have beautiful new Home and Books pages at my website! Please head on over there right now and check them out. :)


Instructions for a Sunwashed Sunday (After a Week of Rain)

stash galoshes,
forget strife;
let go of pain—
step into
               your life

- Irene Latham


11 comments:

  1. Oooh. Sweet sister and special celebrations. Enjoy! (But did you pack your party galoshes(which we'd call gumboots), just in case the party washes?🌧)

    OH! And I've just skipped across to see your new book covers... and I see we are linked by a common theme of snails!🐌 So many beautiful book covers, Irene.😻 You must be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are getting that daily rain as well. I love your sweet poem. Best to your mom and sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun poem! Fun times! I hope your weather improves even though it has obviously inspired your wonderful poem! Thanks! Carol at The Apples in My Orchard on WordPress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your website is indeed gorgeous! Your poem captures perfectly how it feels to wake up to no rain (finally). It's been a wet one here, too. Plus, all those Sunday afternoon dandies stepping out in the Seurat painting...perfect pair-up with your words! I'm imagining them at home in the rain the day before the painting! Happy Birthday to your sister and Heal Quickly to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my goodness...really sweet pages on the website. You must love looking at them. Sorry about the rain. I wish we could direct rain to where it's needed...build a big pipeline for runoff water to go west at least where water is in short supply. We have pipelines for oil, why not water? Anyway, the joy of sun after rain is so wonderful to step into. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene, your website is absolutely lovely and stands out with so much color against interesting content. I love your poem paired with 19th century delights of a Sunday afternoon. I want to step into the artwork and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that sunwashed Sunday sounds delightful! Happy birthday to your little sis! I'm off to check out your new pages now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Short and succinct instructions Irene, but they work so effectively in your poem. Celebrate with gusto!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way this could be about weather, grief, both...Or maybe I'm just interpreting it that way because of various life things right now! Anyway, I love it. Short and sweet (but not too sweet)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots there in those few lines… Hope the pain eases for your Mom, Birthday Wishes flourish, and perhaps the rains subside, thanks Irene!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?