Friday, June 24, 2022

Peacock in Love (poem)

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Catherine at Reading to the Core for Roundup.

Big news! After a long covid-induced delay, Charles Waters and I will be in-person, teaching a workshop at Highlights October 8-11, 2022 called Poetry for Kids: A World of Publishing Possibilities. We'll be talking about many things, including:

 1) finding your voice in the wide world of children's poetry

 2) revising poetry (one of my most favorite things to teach!)

 3) performing poetry (for school visits, online outlets, and other events)

Please join us for fun, fellowship, learning, and inspiration! Click here to learn more.


Today's ArtSpeak! Animals poem is a love poem. I think love poems are my favorite comfort food! And...we saw a peacock in love recently when we visited Garvan Woodland Gardens in Hot Springs, AR. (If you are in the area, please do not miss it! Acres of gorgeousness!)

As for the peacock in love, his name's George. The photo does NOT do him justice at all! (too shady) 

But Walasse Ting's art does. :) Thank you so much for reading!


Peacock in Love


two eyes aren't enough
so with a gentle rustling
of feathers
he pops open his parasol,
trains a hundred more eyes
on her and her alone

a benediction
bright enough to eclipse
hunger, sickness,
doubt

all his iridescent attention

hers

- Irene Latham

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorely tempted to attend Highlights. If I didn't need my personal days for a special event, I'd be there...I'm still trying to think of how to wrangle the schedule. Thanks for announcing it! You two together would be the BEST workshop in person.
    I do love all those eyes...love begins with the eyes. Peacocks know! Bravo, Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to read you'll finally be at Highlights, a marvelous time for all, I'm sure, Irene. One aunt on her farm raised peacocks, and gave us feathers! Your poem is a blessing to them & I love that one word end. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, flashy poem that comes to that laser-focus ending. Love the parasol! Y'all will be amazing at Highlights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "benediction of iridescent attention" Love the word choices here. I, too, will be in school in October. It's countdown time (5 more years until retirement). Highlights is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That "iridescent attention!" Swoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We should all be so lucky to have someone's "iridescent attention" focused on us alone!
    Thank you for the heads up about Highlights. Sadly, I'm pretty sure we'll be at my son's that weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?