Pages

Friday, July 17, 2026

a blessing for sorrow

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Jill Dailey for Roundup.

Wow, July is clipping along, isn't it? Charles and I had a great time in Chicago teaching at the Poetry Summit put on by the Poetry Foundation.  What a great group of educators! And, fun bonus, we got to explore the Poetry Foundation offices and library! We also got to share a meal with children's poet and picture book author Michelle Schaub. Delightful! I came away with a BUNCH of new ideas and inspirations in my notebook...can't wait to write some new stuff.  Many thanks to Sarah DeVore, Justine Haka, and Angelica Flores for all their hard work making our time together the best it could be. Oh, and if you're ever in Chicago, go to Zarella's and ask to be seated in the SpeakEasy section. Order the fried zucchini. You will not be sorry!

And now my thoughts have turned to the next trip, to Staunton, VA, where Dahlia H. Constantine and I will give an author's tea at Staunton Public Library in celebration of our book A Good Morning for Giddo. Hooray!

In "this is why we do it" news, I received the following email from a reader: 


This makes me so happy! 

Maybe that's why I started out this week's ArtSpeak:WOMEN poem as a love poem. I was thinking about a favorite African proverb and thought I'd write something about love as an early spring afternoon (because that's what the art looks like to me). But it just wasn't working! 

And then I thought: maybe this poem isn't about love after all. The next emotion to settle in my mind was "sorrow." And then the poem felt just right. Thanks so much for reading.


May your sorrow be

like a spring afternoon

rising on a brisk wind

but nestling into the folds

of a hillside warm

with grass and birdsong.

- Irene Latham

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for this kinder version of sorrow.

    (and what a LOVELY note from a reader!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it’s just that sorrow and love can both be quiet emotions, so a little alike and both conjure loss. Just thinking:) loved hearing of your adventures. Chicago sounded fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Irene. The pinks and greens in the painting speak to me of spring and warmth. Thanks for showing how sorrow feels at home there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irene, the beautiful tone and words of your ArtSpeak poem remind me of the Irish Blessing...May the road rise to meet you. Such comfort! Glad the Poetry Summit went well and how wonderful you made zines!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don’t you just love when a book resonates with a reader. I’m finding that with my board book because I used grandparents in it. Your poem speaks to me, too, like a sweet blessing that accepts sorrow as it comes. Without judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene, intertwining thoughts of love prior to writing and sorrow upon writing has me pondering.I thank you for this poem and the artwork that accompanies it. Sorrow has reached me again as I near what would have been 50 years of marriage. The nature piece of the poem is gentle as a spring opening breeze and tender in its rendering. Enjoy your summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Irene, I'm smiling so much about the note from the librarian who saw your new Giddo book as a mirror for herself and her child. Beautiful! Your sorrow poem is perfect. Thank you, as always, for your rich post with so much goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irene, this post made me smile, laugh, tear up, and happily sigh. Lovely all around, and that letter from a reader? {chef's kiss} So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh "nestling into the folds..." so beautiful. One of these days I'm going to go to the Poetry Summit! What a fun way to spend July (minus the terrible air in Chicago). I was really hoping to make it to your event in Staunton (I have to pass right by it on the way to Roanoke on Friday), but alas, I couldn't make the timing work out to go on Thursday. I hope while you're there, you'll get to visit the Green Valley Book Fair nearby in Mt. Crawford.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a joy to receive such a note from a reader, Irene. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even sorrow can be understanding...lovely. The speakeasy section? Yes, please. Always! The note from the librarian is one to keep forever. I have a note from a student from this year that I will keep forever. It really is why we do what we do.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?