Pages

▼

Friday, September 18, 2026

Praise Be, I Have a Mother Who Reads to Me poem

Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Carol at Beyond LiteracyLink for Roundup.

First, big shout-out to Nikki Grimes, who has just been named Young People's Poet Laureate 2027-28! What a tremendous honor, and I can't think of a more deserving poet. And, in true Nikki fashion, she's already got an amazing project ready to go: 

A POCKETFUL OF POETRY PROMPTS: 

TIPS FOR TEACHING VERSE

A Blog Created by Nikki Grimes 

2027-2028 Young People’s Poet Laureate 

Hooray! So many congratulations to Nikki on this outstanding accolade, on top of so many others!

Today's ArtSpeak: WOMEN features art by Mary Cassatt. Funny thing: I wanted this to be a trinet. But a trinet requires 7 lines, and I stopped at 6. I just felt like the poem was d-o-n-e. So it was better to let go of the trinet dream and let the poem be what it wanted to be!

Full-fledged trinets I've written:

Alabama Sunrise; Key West Sunset
A Dream of Rabbits
Trinet after an Argument

 And here's today's effort—a gratitude poem for my parents who read to me...and gratitude for all parents out there who read to their kids. It's important. Please keep doing it just as long as you can.


Praise Be, I Have a Mother Who Reads to Me

Half human,

half angel

she tucks me in a nest

of words, glorious words! I sing—

half bird,

half sky.

- Irene Latham

11 comments:

  1. Ah, Irene! This is beautiful! I especially love "she tucks me in a nest/of words..." Bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the poem and art! Feels like I've been hugged. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect as is. And yes to all the parents who read to their kids...and YES to all the teachers who hold onto read aloud in the classroom against all odds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gratitude shines through in your short but evocative poem, Irene. Being read to is a gift that lasts a lifetime. I love reading to my grand-daughter. It's such a special time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tucks me in a nest of words - lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Words, glorious words - perfect. LOVE this poem, and yes, it is all it needs to be! Also, I love that Nikki just received this honor/appointment and I'm excited about her project. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So delighted by your bravery to end your poem where it wished to be ended. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Irene, what a joy to be reminded of the joy of reading to and being read to. Thank you for your sweet non-trinet. It is perfect. "she tucks me in a nest / of words, glorious words" Wow. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowee wow wow! Hooray for Nikki Grimes! This is outstanding news...and your Wordspinners is a just right celebration of her. I love that. I read your poem and can remember being tucked into my Grandma's side listening to Swiss Family Robinson. Thanks for the time travel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "she tucks me in a nest/of words" — oh, just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Irene,thank you for sending us the information on Nikki's new title and her project. Since I am a high believer in parents reading to their children, I am delighted by your poem.Yes, mothers do so lovingly tuck children into a nest of words. What a beautiful thought. I love your poem.

    of words,

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?