Friday, January 15, 2010

CELEBRATE POST 500!


According to my trusty dashboard, this, my friends, is my 500th post. Wow, who knew introverted me had that much to say?

To celebrate, here's some little tidbits about 500:

1. 2 bags of M&Ms equals 500 calories.

2. To burn those 500 calories, you'd have to ice skate at 9 mph. For an hour. Don't have a frozen pond or ice rink nearby? Try these other 500 calorie busters.

3. There's a magazine you've probably heard of called Fortune 500. I don't really know what that means. (500 what?) I just know your company is doing good if it's on that list.

4. The Indianopolis 500? That, I get. Well, at least the 500 miles part. The noise and crowds and heat and fumes, I'm not so sure about.

5. Ever seen a $500 bill? Yep. It existed once upon a time. (1928, featured President William McKinley)

6. What about one of my favorite movies of 2009? 500 DAYS OF SUMMER

7. And last but not least, for Poetry Friday: one of my most favorite anthologies: The Top 500 Poems, edited by Willam Harmon. I've been asked in blog interviews lately "what book would I want with me on a deserted island" and a fog slips into my mind. Now it's perfectly clear to me: this one. I pick this one.

And what's on page 500? "To A Skylark" by Percy Bysshe Shelley. I give you the third stanza:

In the golden lightning
Of the sunken sun,
O'er which clouds are bright'ning;
Thou dost float and run,
Like an unbodied joy whose race is just begun.

Complete poem here.

For other great poetry, see Roundup at Great Kids Books.

8 comments:

  1. Woohoo!! Very exciting indeed.

    This might call for some 500 dollar champagne :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene,
    Love that poetry snippet! I'm so happy to find your blog! I was wondering who else out there fell in love with that bird.

    Hey, did you notice that I like books set in the South? I'm trying to read more middle grade this year, too. I must've been fated to discover your site. Congratulations on the publication of Leaving Gee' Bend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, congratulations. I like the cover and the premise of your book. I'm looking forward to reading it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite impressive, dear one! 500 posts! Congratulations. Here's to your next 500 post and more!

    Love and hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 bags of M-n-Ms equals 500 calories - YIKES

    Oh well, I'm going to help you celebrate anyway and wolf down a couple . . . bags MWHA-HA-HA

    No wonder I'm so chubby.

    Congrats on 500!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 500th post! Here's to 500+ more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that book of Top 500 poems and have always loved it! In fact, I just read two poems aloud from it last night to my four year old before she went to sleep.
    Happy 500th!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on #500!
    Love the list! I had to peek at the calorie burners. Yow! I ate more than 500 calories worth of chocolate today and I so did not do 500 calories worth of exercise. Maybe, um, tomorrow!
    500 Days of Summer is my To Watch list!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?