Friday, January 15, 2010
CELEBRATE POST 500!
According to my trusty dashboard, this, my friends, is my 500th post. Wow, who knew introverted me had that much to say?
To celebrate, here's some little tidbits about 500:
1. 2 bags of M&Ms equals 500 calories.
2. To burn those 500 calories, you'd have to ice skate at 9 mph. For an hour. Don't have a frozen pond or ice rink nearby? Try these other 500 calorie busters.
3. There's a magazine you've probably heard of called Fortune 500. I don't really know what that means. (500 what?) I just know your company is doing good if it's on that list.
4. The Indianopolis 500? That, I get. Well, at least the 500 miles part. The noise and crowds and heat and fumes, I'm not so sure about.
5. Ever seen a $500 bill? Yep. It existed once upon a time. (1928, featured President William McKinley)
6. What about one of my favorite movies of 2009? 500 DAYS OF SUMMER
7. And last but not least, for Poetry Friday: one of my most favorite anthologies: The Top 500 Poems, edited by Willam Harmon. I've been asked in blog interviews lately "what book would I want with me on a deserted island" and a fog slips into my mind. Now it's perfectly clear to me: this one. I pick this one.
And what's on page 500? "To A Skylark" by Percy Bysshe Shelley. I give you the third stanza:
In the golden lightning
Of the sunken sun,
O'er which clouds are bright'ning;
Thou dost float and run,
Like an unbodied joy whose race is just begun.
Complete poem here.
For other great poetry, see Roundup at Great Kids Books.