Monday, March 21, 2016

One Not-So-Little Word for Last Week

ROLLERCOASTER

Actually, according to ye ol' internet, that's TWO words: Roller Coaster.

Anyway, one or two, that's what last week was.

I traveled to Bismarck, North Dakota, where I got to see my father. UP!

I saw for myself how sick my father is. DOWN.


Stones painted by members of
the Cancer Support Group
I presented three talks on One Little Word. UP!

I realized how little I can do to help my father. DOWN.

I got to experience snow in Bismarck! UP!

I had a come-apart with very kind people in Bismarck. DOWN.

I found out my book DEAR WANDERING WILDEBEEST: AND OTHER POEMS FROM THE WATER HOLE was named an SCBWI Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award Honor Book. UP!

I found out my first novel for children LEAVING GEE'S BEND is going out of print. DOWN.

The announcement was published about my first historical fiction narrative picture book. UP!


 Stacey Barney at Putnam has acquired world rights to Frank and Miss Fancy by Irene Latham, to be illustrated by John Holyfield. Inspired by true events and set in 1913 Alabama, a retired circus elephant is purchased by the city of Birmingham, where an African-American boy is determined to meet her up close in spite of segregation laws. It is scheduled for spring 2018; Rosemary Stimola, Stimola Literary Studio represented the author, and the illustrator was unagented.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had to leave Bismarck, North Dakota, without my very sick father. DOWN!

I came home to my loving family. UP!

And now, here we are... it's another week, it's spring, and yet -- I'm still reeling from last week. It's okay. Some things in life take a while. I'm being patient with myself. And right now, I am off to play my cello. Thank you for reading!

9 comments:

  1. Irene, your up and down week sounds exhausting. I've had lots of them myself lately. I'm glad you are being patient with yourself. Hope this week is full of ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ruth, patience is HARD! I want everything to be better RIGHT NOW. Keeping you close in my thoughts and prayers... and wishing you UPS as well. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs, Irene. Hooray on the Ups, and deep breaths on the Downs. More hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's those downs that make the ups so much sweeter. So glad that you had the ups that you did. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending lots of love to you and your father. Having a sick parent or a sick child that you can not make better has got to be two of the hardest things in the world. Just remember you are a diamond girl they can't break you ❤️ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roller Coasters can be exhilarating, and can make your stomach drop to the depths. I'm sorry for those drops, for the news about your father, Irene. But, it is nice you were able to be with him all week. Sending you hugs for this hard time, and for all the good you bring to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Irene, what a whirlwind of a week it's been for you. Sending healing thoughts for the DOWN and the many congrats for the UP. Looking forward to reading FRANK AND MISS FANCY in a few years time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're tough, you can handle the downs ... fix what you can, grieve over what you can't then let them go because they're going with or without your approve ... I know good advise for me too and yea for all the ups

    ReplyDelete
  9. Irene, life is fragile and uncertain that is why there is a Up/Down pull on our heartstrings. -Peace to you for the downs, congratulations for the ups.-

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?