Wow, does this school love books, and WORDS!
1. Starting in Kindergarten each child begins writing and collecting writing samples to create a writing portfolio. By 5th grade they have a fat stack of all sorts of writing! What a gift, what a record of a child's life!
2. Every year classes select an author whose books serve as inspiration for a tablescape at the annual Writers' Cafe.
3. Special adults are invited to sit at the inspired tables, share a snack and peruse the students' writings.
4. Also as part of the annual event, real working writers come in to share their stories with students. This year I was one of those lucky writers!
5. The director of curriculum Kelly Smith shared with me that when students move from elementary to middle school, they have a Harry Potter inspired event where a Sorting Hat is used to sort kids into 4 different houses, which are named after saints (It's a Catholic school.). The kids of each house pile onto a magic carpet of sorts and are pulled across the way from the elementary building to the middle school building. Very ceremonial... and inspired by the words of J.K. Rowling.