Thursday, December 15, 2016

Spiritual Journey Thursday: Reflections on 2016 One Little Word

Hello, and welcome! I'm delighted to host a roundup today for Spiritual Journey Thursday.

What is Spiritual Journey Thursday? Well, it was a tradition started by Holly Mueller at Reading, Teaching, Learning, as a weekly space to explore aspects of our spiritual lives. Whatever your religion, or lack of religion, you are welcome! We honor all voices and beliefs here.

The first few months of 2016 we discussed each person's One Little Word. These posts included reflections on why the word was selected, and what that word means in our lives. I found these posts so nourishing and enriching! And then things kind of fell apart when Holly let us all know that she was being called in other directions and needed to step away for a while. Several of us discussed ways to revive the practice, and now, after talking with Holly (who graciously passed the torch to me) and tweeting with others, I think we have a plan for 2017!

Instead of weekly posts, we will be scaling back to once a month:
Spiritual Journey FIRST Thursday!

We'll run the roundups the way we do Poetry Friday, with people signing up to host the roundup. Hosts will choose their own topic -- and we will all write on it. This can be your One Little Word, or something else. The only catch is this: I will need to know topic within the next couple of weeks (so I can create a schedule proper and share before the first Spiritual Journey First Thursday of 2017)!

So, here are the dates. Please let me know in comments which date you would like to host, and what topic you want us all to write about!

January 5 - Carol at Beyond LiteracyLink (One Word to Guide our Journey 2017)
February 2 - Leigh Anne at Turn  (Rise)
March 2 - Doraine at Dori Reads (Connection)
April 6 - Violet at Violet Nesdoly (New Life/Spring/Easter)
May 4 - Donna at Mainely Write
June 1 - Margaret at Reflections on the Teche (Finding Joy)
July 6 -  Pat at Writer on a Horse (Getting Out of Comfort Zone)
August 3 - Julianne (Beginnings)
September 7 - Ramona at Pleasures from the Page (her OLW - tba!)
October 5 - Maya at Move Over ADHD - Small Steps Lead to Big Change
November 2 - Karen Eastlund (Gratitude guest post at Live Your Poem)
December 7 - Irene at Live Your Poem (One Little Word end-of-year reflections)

And now for a few words about DELIGHT, my 2016 One Little Word. This word has brought much joy and meaning to my life this year. I've found myself using the word in every day life: "I am delighted." It's a version of happy that feels more in the moment, more connected with presence and wonder. I've discovered the things that delight me are often the unexpected things, the lighter things, the everyday joys. Simply naming these things "delight" has had a huge impact on my life. It's hard to feel bad about anything for too long when you are focused on delight!

I'm also seeing more delight in my writing life. More playfulness and experimentation. More "just because I want to see what happens" kind of writing. And now, because it was this year's word, and this is the year my father died, "delight" is a word I associate with him. He was like my very own Santa, complete with a twinkle in his eye... the embodiment of delight. He still is that for me.

Finally, the one delight I return to every day is the sky. It's so easy to feel delighted. Just look up!



Thanks so much for reading! And now it is time to select a word for 2017... I'm pretty sure I know what mine is. :)



27 comments:

  1. Now that we've met face to face, I see that delight! Your father passed on his twinkle eyes.
    Thanks for taking on the Spiritual Journey Thursdays. I've missed them. I'll take June 1st. Topic: Finding Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Delight” suits you well, Irene! Now I’m curious about your word for 2017. And I’m really pleased that you’re taking this on and lightening the load with once a month posts. Great idea! (And thanks to Holly for getting it all started).

    I’ll choose April 6th. My topic will be Easter, and for those who may not celebrate this Christian holiday, please expand the topic to something about New Life (as in spring).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene, your smile has always delighted me so your one word is just wonderful. I am so glad that it brought you much happiness. It even has a wonderful connection to your father who sounds like such a delightful man. I am DELIGHTED that our paths have crossed and that you will be part of my Wonderopolis Round Table proposal team. Thank you so much for continuing the Spiritual Journey Thursday tradition. I will take the Jan. 5th slot with the topic: One Word to Guide Our 2017 Journey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irene: Is this invitation open to readers as well as bloggers? If so, I would like to take part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, yes the invitation is open! To host, you do need a blog. Please join us however you are able. So glad you are here.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Irene! I appreciate your hospitality. So I would be willing to write the post for November, and my topic would be gratitude. I don't have a blog, but I guess I would send my post to you by or before the given date.

      Delete
    3. Yes, Karen, you are welcome to send the post to me for Live Your Poem. Thank you! xo

      Delete
  5. I love your explanation of delight - "...version of happy that feels more in the moment, more connected with presence and wonder." 2016 was delightful for lots of reasons, but one of them is that YOU came to our school and spoke to our 6th graders. It was delightful to spend a day with you and then have a bit more bonus time together after Poetry Camp. Love how you remember your dad as the embodiment of delight. What a legacy of the delightful life he left you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ramona, definitely on my list of delights: meeting YOU! I loved sharing time and space with you... wish we lived closer! We would love to have you as a host for one of these Spiritual Journey Thursdays... which month is best for you? xo

      Delete
    2. I'll take September! and will delay my OLW 5th Tuesday August reflection until then. Still in search of my OLW, but will get back to you soon.

      Delete
    3. Yay! Thank you, Ramona! That word will come to you when you least expect it. xo

      Delete
  6. Thank you for continuing this community. I think the change to once a month is "delightful." I love how you defined delight as a deeper version of happy, yet it feels so much lighter. I will take February, and I would like to write about my OLW. Only problem is, I don't know what it is yet. I will get back to you in a week if that is OK. Thanks again, for carrying the torch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Leigh Anne - yay! So glad you will host. I look forward to learning about your new OLW. xo

      Delete
  7. I'll be happy to be a part of this. Thanks for getting it started again. I'll take the March date. I'll let you know what my word is later. My brain is still in slow mode. But surely I'll know before March. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you have done this. Making it a monthly thing is a great idea. I'd be happy to do August, maybe around beginnings of a new school year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just checking back in and I am so delighted that so many of the spots have been filled not only with "original" SJT bloggers, but new ones as well. I feel great things happening in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to join this group. My OLW 2017 is clarity. My blog is https://moveoveradhd.wordpress.com/. I'd love to host October with a focus on how Small Steps Lead to Big Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maya! We are glad to have you on board! Do you have a twitter handle?

      Delete
  11. july 6 and journey (stepping out of the orninary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know that this is probably not still there, but I would like to participate anyway...I'd do May 4, if it is not taken. I'm going to try to remember to write anyway. Sorry for the delay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, May 4 is YOURS! Yay! Hope your 2017 is off to a great start. xo

      Delete
    2. Whee! Now the topic... I think I know, but let me try it out in my head for a minute. I'll get back to you.

      Delete

Your thoughts?