Monday, August 14, 2017

Found: A Beautiful Blackbird (and More!) at High Museum

Last week Paul and I took a quick trip to Atlanta for a concert and to see High Museum's exhibit "Painter and Poet: The Wonderful World of Ashley Bryan."

I love Ashley Bryan. What a gentle, vibrant spirit! And his work is full of surprise and color and meaning. The exhibit included quite a few original spreads from Ashley's picture books, a whole case of puppets, and, of course, baskets of his books! We also watched a video in which Ashley himself talks about his work. I was enchanted. And it made me want to visit the Ashley Bryan Center in Maine! Maybe next summer?

Anyhow, here are some picture from the museum:

I love Granny Anika's song:
"Mama loves peas,
Papa loves  corn,
Baby loves beans
Sure as you're born.
Put in potatoes,
Granny loves yam,
Don't forget okra,
Beets and jam."
It also reminds me of Mr. Jim's vegetable plate.

"I" is for Irene... and "If I could imagine the shaping of Fate, I would think of blackmen handling the sun." - Raymond Patterson (from ABC of African American Poetry)

Ashley's work features lots and lots of animals!

from Ashley's autobiography Ashley Bryan: Words to My Life's Song:
"This is my story. Whether it be bitter or whether it be sweet, take some it elsewhere and let the rest come back to me."

The Night Has Ears, one of my favorite Ashley Bryan books!

 And, because the High Museum is also featuring an exhibition of Andy Warhol's prints, I wanted to include this shot from the gift shop:

"Art is what you can get away with."
YES!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Irene, I adored this post. Ashley Bryan RULES! And I wish I could go have Mr. Jim's cooking right this minute!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?