Thursday, January 18, 2018

The Watcher by Nikki Grimes

Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Kay at A Journey Through the Pages for Roundup.

I am away from my desk, spending time with some much-loved ones, but I did want to share about another gorgeous Nikki Grimes book that, like ONE LAST WORD: Wisdom from the Harlem Renaissance, features the Golden Shovel form.

This one is a picture book THE WATCHER: Inspired by Psalm 121, written by Nikki Grimes, illus. by Bryan Collier (Eerdmans).
It's also a narrative. Told in 2 voices. (I know! As if the Golden Shovel wasn't difficult enough to pull of beautifully!) And these characters feel SO REAL. I loved how Tanya, the bully, has a backstory that helps us understand why she does the things she does. (This is a great lesson for anyone creating villains... take time to show us their human-ness!) And I love Jordan's faith, and how he's willing to take a risk.

Here's a sample of each character's voice:

Jordan

I wake, a hail of hot words hitting my
bedroom wall, like bullets. "God, help,"
I pray, hoping the answer comes
quickly. My heart bleeds from
the sound of my neighbors' war next door. The
sun and I both shrivel, hiding behind the Lord.

- Nikki Grimes

Tanya

"Welcome, Israel," says our teacher. He
tells this kid with a weird accent to take a seat, but who
is it makes room for this geek? Everyone watches
to see, wonders why it's me who waves him over.
My answer? A snarl that says, "Mess with me, I dare you."

- Nikki Grimes

I do hope you'll give this book a read. You'll be inspired, I promise!



17 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you for sharing this. I'm blown away by just the two short poems you share from it. It makes my brain hurt to think about writing a book of golden shovel poems in multiples voices that tells a story. I was late getting my PF roundup post up for today, but I added your link to the new post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing, Irene - sounds like such a timely book, and masterfully made by these two amazing creators.
    Enjoy your time with your special ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Kay. What an undertaking. Nikki Grimes is a powerhouse talent. Looks like another great book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just shared this recently, too, Irene. It is a wonderful story, kindly told, beautiful illustrations and as you show, incredible words from Nikki Grimes. I'm glad you like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like an amazing read. Thank you for highlighting a few of the poems. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another book to explore -- HOORAY! I so love Nikki and her work. Thrilled that NPR has featured her (and Kwame) quite frequently in recent months. And I have yet to attempt a Golden Shovel. Feels like a holy grail of sorts. On my "2018 To Do" list! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in awe of the golden shovel and have read One Last Word. Now I must get this one, too. Nikki Grimes is such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll order this title for the library! Thanks for a peek inside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recommendation! I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nikki Grimes is truly amazing. She makes writing golden shovels look effortless. Thank you for sharing this book, Irene. It sounds like a real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, a bully with a backstory...sounds valuable (and well-told).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, this one is on my bookshelf. I've already read it twice, and now you've inspired me to read it again! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Irene, Nikki came to the Scholastic dinner at NCTE so I was thrilled to spend time with her. She talked about this book. It sounds fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! Sounds like a beautiful tale, powerfully told. A perfect example of how relevant and meaningful poetry can be - it isn't just for dusty textbooks, it's for the classroom, and the school bus, and every day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa! Count me among the admiring and the daunted. What an amazing accomplishment! Nikki Grimes is an inspiration and I'm so intrigued by the two poems you included and so curious about Tanya's backstory. I'll definitely check this out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing Nikki's book Irene, it sounds very familiar to me. These are two strong and telling poems too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been hearing about Nikki's book, and can't wait to read it - thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?