Friday, October 4, 2024

Birdhouse poem

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Tabatha at The Opposite of Indifference for Roundup.

I'm away from my desk, but happy to buzz in with a quick ArtSpeak: FOLK ART poem! Today's art is by Chris Lewallen.


One of my favorite things about our house on the lake is the bird-feeding station. Recently, thanks to Amy Tan's book, we switched to hot shelled sunflower seeds, and that has made a world of difference in terms of keeping the squirrels away! I also love having birdhouses perched everywhere, including the village of birdhouses pictured left. One thing I am working on is adding a birdbath to the yard. The one I have is too deep...so it needs a few rocks for the birds to perch upon....easy peasy! I do love watching birds play in puddles. Thanks so much for reading. And if you need a book-friend for this poem, grab one of my favorites: Every Day Birds by Amy Ludwig VanDerwater. 



Birdhouse


Heaven is a house
with four doors
forever open

inside: straw
feathers
a few eggs

front porch
fat with stars
and fireflies

sometimes silence;
sometimes singing

- Irene Latham

3 comments:

  1. I love this poem, Irene. I'm going to put it on my fridge. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to notice the singing move more toward silence. I'll be counting down the days until our yard is filled with song once again. Lovely poem. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fat with stars and fireflies! Oh, my goodness....yes. A birdhouse village is just the thing of a lake house. It's adorable and useful.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?