Friday, October 18, 2024

Invitation / Inner Song poem

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Matt at Radio, Rhythm & Rhyme for Roundup. I'm super-excited my poem about a crystal-loving girl called "The Rainbow-Keeper" is included in Matt's first time out as a poetry anthologist: A Universe of Rainbows:Multicolored Poems for a Multicolored World illus. by Jamey Christoph, coming from Eerdman's April 1, 2025. Read Betsy Bird's enthusiastic sneak peek here.

I'm also delighted to have a couple of poems in the just-released anthology from Janet Wong & Sylvia Vardell: Clara's Kooky Compendium of Thimblethoughts and Wonderfuzz, drawing by Frank Ramspott, pubbed by Pomelo Books. I love those made-up words, and I loved writing for this project! Find out more and get your copy here. 

Fun fact: I've been given a number of alternate names over the years. My father called me Harriet. My brothers called my Reniebob. A friend dubbed me Lydia. Another friend said she swore I was a Clara in a former life. So I have great fondness for the name! And even though I haven't seen this book yet in person, I already love it!

'Round these parts it's Fall Festival time! I'm in charge of the Scarecrow Contest, so I look forward to seeing how creative my friends and neighbors are!

Today's ArtSpeak: FOLK ART is inspired by a piece available at  Main Street Gallery by Georgia folk artist Eric Legge

I started out with no title, ala Emily Dickinson, jumping straight into the poem... and then I titled it "Invitation." I have quite a few "Invitation" poems! And of course the mind goes straight to this one by Shel Silverstein. Aren't ALL poems invitations, whether they bear that title or not?

Also, the poem started out center-justified. But when I went to create the digital image, it didn't work. Without the art, I still prefer it center-justified, so that's the way I've presented it below. Thanks so much for reading!


Invitation


inside

the center

of the center of your heart

a song stirs


take a breath

part your lips

spiral your tune

into the broken/hopeful world


-Irene Latham


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on these anthologies, Irene - and I love your poem, esp. "spiraling your tune"! (I feel like it could have been spoken by your music teacher from "School People")

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?