Friday, October 2, 2026

i am sad (poem)

 Hello and happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Margaret at Reflections on the Teche for Roundup.

Next Friday I will be in Wisconsin for the SCBWI conference! (My first time to visit Wisconsin!) I love that the (fabulous!) organizers chose the word "play" to accompany my photo, since I will be talking about how to apply poetic elements to all kinds of writing. "Play" is exactly the right word. I look forward to learning with volunteers, faculty, and attendees. Yay!

Today for ArtSpeak: WOMEN, I've selected another piece by Nellie Mae Rowe.

It can be so hard for kids sometimes to talk about sadness. So, in my poem, I wanted to explore ways a child might express it. 

Learn more about why the artist was sad in this Christie's article. Thanks for reading!


what I want to say but can't


all the rainbows 

are melting


my heart has flown

to another planet


i am sad

- Irene Latham

8 comments:

  1. Yep... Sad is definitely a melting rainbow. You nailed it (of course!). Enjoy Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Play away, Irene! Hope you have fun at the conference.
    "All the rainbows are melting" -- sadness we can imagine feeling (with our hands and with our hearts). xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your time in Wisconsin. Thanks for the touching poem -- you expressed sadness perfectly from a kid's POV.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a touching poem that truly nails sadness! Enjoy the conference - I know several people who will be there including Darcy Pattison, Leslie Helakoski (was just with both of them at Boyds Mills), and Becky Scharnhorst (a critique partner).

    ReplyDelete
  5. "All the rainbows are melting" is the perfect opening line and the simple and stark honesty of the final "I am sad" is the perfect ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another yes for the melting rainbows, but also kudos for an excellent title!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so important that kids learn to express their emotions at a young age. My daughters are doing a better job than I did at accepting strong emotions from their children. Art and poetry give us space for emotions. Good luck in Wisconsin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "All the rainbows are melting..." is such a beautiful way to express how a child might be sad or grieving. My dear uncle passed away this week, and even at 68, I feel the rainbows melting. Thank you for this poem, Irene. Have fun playing !

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?