Sunday, April 6, 2008

SHOWCASE SUNDAY


Anniversary

The morning after
there is a peach
on the nightstand

your forehead gleams
in the tender light
and I see a whorl

in your hairline,
the place your mother
must have kissed

when you were new
and I want to
kiss it too

that dark tornado

I want to kiss it
and remember you
this way -

ripe and still,
as if we are just
beginning.

- Irene Latham


I love peaches. And not just because I was born in Georgia! They are such a sensual fruit - no wonder they are always popping up in my poems. Wishing everyone a peach-y day today... and Paul, Happy Anniversary to Us!

"There are two versions of every story and twelve versions of every song."

- Irish proverb

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem, Irene! Happy anniversary to you and Paul! How many years have you been married?

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Deb... 17 years. Marriage just gets better and better. I love being with Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marriage does get better and better when done properly! Mark and have been married for 23 years, but we have been together for almost 28! The time just zips by, doesn't it?

    Congratulations on your 17th anniversary.

    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?