Friday, April 3, 2009

FAVORITE POEM #2

Celebrate National Poetry Month!

THE LANGUAGE

Locate I
love you some-
where in

teeth and
eyes, bite
it but

take care not
to hurt, you
want so

much so
little. Words
say everything.

I
love you
again,

then what
is emptiness
for. To

fill, fill.
I heard words
and words full
of holes
aching. Speech
is a mouth.


- Robert Creeley

The Storialist , who is an amazing blogger-poet, loves this poem by Creeley because...

"[the poet] wonders about the connection between words, speech, meaning, and emotion. I first read this poem over a decade ago, and fell hard for its halting, haunting lines. I love this poem (and Creeley's writing, in general) for its longing, simplicity, and playfulness. This is one of the two poems that I have memorized (and have recited unsolicited to friends), and I am eternally inspired by Creeley's ability to end his poems with understated gravity."

Three cheers for understated gravity! Definitely something to aspire to as poets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?