Friday, April 17, 2015

ARTSPEAK! Poem #17 & WON TON AND CHOPSTICK by Lee Wardlaw

Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit sweet red Robyn at Life on the Deckle Edge for Roundup. Also, be sure to visit Buffy's Blog for the latest in our Progressive Poem!

First, a look at WON TON AND CHOPSTICK: A Cat and Dog Tale Told in Haiku by Lee Wardlaw, illus. by Eugene Yelchin.

How much fun to see Won Ton's (haiku) adventures continue! A dog is not a welcome new family member... at first. :) My favorite section in the book is called "The Banishment."

Picket fence lament:
Woe is meeee-ow! the crowd howls.
Cue for an encore.

Pounced a plump mouse but
set him free. Just not hungry.
Maybe tomorrow.

Alone, Q-curled tight.
Night is cold without you, Boy,
despite my fur coat.

-- Lee Wardlaw

-----------------------------------
Poor Won Ton! Don't you just love "Q-curled" ??

And now, poem #17 of ARTSPEAK!, my Poem-a-Day Project for National Poetry Month 2015, in which I am writing from images found in the online collections of the National Gallery of Art and focusing on dialogue, conversations, what does the piece say? 


Today's piece is "Bathers Caught in a Storm" by Felix Vollotton.


Right away I knew I wanted to write in the wind's voice! (I am in North Dakota, after all... so much wind rolls across these prairies!)




10 comments:

  1. Lee's new book is such fun - with dogs and cats here at home, we can all completely relate to so many of the poems!

    And you and I are on the same windy wavelength today, Irene. This is beautiful, your teasing confident wind. So strident, just as wind feels. Such a great match to this picture.

    Can you believe it is the 17th already?

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anxious to see the new Won Ton book. Thanks for the sample poem. :)

    Love the windy poem -- I always think of the wind as the breath of inspiration -- "voices on the wind." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Irene! I loved listening to your reading. You have a beautiful voice! Purrs and woofs, Lee Wardlaw

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Lee's new book Irene, and your ARTSPEAK poem.
    "The sun?/Each day/it comes undone" - brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene- Thank you for sharing the new Won Ton book. I haven't gotten that one yet, but I will!
    I love your mask poem. That wind sure can be onery! The alliteration is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that 'Q-curled' too, Irene. I'm sure the book will be as wonderful as the first one. I love the print you chose, marvelous style. The wind is always a part of life on the beach, & you've made it such a trickster in your poem. I love the different verbs, 'tease', 'fling', 'tumble', 'gust'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like "gust your beach ball away." This wind reminds me of Puck the trickster in Midsummer Night's Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm imagining your southern self in North Dakota! Must seem like a foreign land!

    Your wind poem pairs perfectly with the art!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to Lee's WonTon sequel. The first book was like a cuddle.

    Wonderful mask poem, Irene. The wind WILL have her way. Especially love that second stanza, and the ending too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. NATURE BULLY
    My gusty currents will
    Twirl you like ballerinas,
    Snap you into walls of wind,
    Bounce you back from whence you came,
    You will pay for my nasty mood
    You will share in my shame.

    (c) Charles Waters 2015 all rights reserved.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?