Friday, October 21, 2016

MOO by Sharon Creech

Hello, and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Tricia at Miss Rumphius Effect for Roundup.

I've just finished MOO by Sharon Creech. I thought of my mother the entire time I was reading it -- because my mom was once a big-time prize-winning 4-H girl who, in addition to competing in the areas of sewing and public speaking, showed dairy and beef cows. Her favorite was a Jersey cow named Penny, who won her a GRAND CHAMPION prize. Here's a picture:





Penny & Mama (before she was a mama!)

And here's an excerpt from the book:

BEAUTY DAY

Animals need primping for the fair:
     shampoos
     clipping
     pedicures (hoof-i-cures?)

I am not kidding!

Zep declared Beauty Day for Zora and
Yolanda
     We lathered
     we scrubbed
     we rinsed
     we dried them with a blow-dryer.

I am not kidding!

     We clipped
     we combed
     we brushed.
     We cleaned and polished hooves.
 
You'll have to do it all again at the fair,
Zep said.
This is just round one: preparation.

It made us laugh.
     Beauty Day for the heifers!
They looked SO good when we were done!

And then Zora tromped through
a mud puddle
and lay down
and said
     Moo.

- Sharon Creech
-------------------------
This poem also reminds me of all the ways  my sister and I would primp our ponies. We painted their hooves and dyed their manes and tails... we also braided and brushed and occasionally broke out the hair dryer. Fun!

16 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photo of your mother and her prized, beloved cow, Irene! I also loved your backstory of your sister and you and of course, the Sharon Creech sample.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun post, Irene. I didn't know you painted your pony's hooves, but am I surprised?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book, Irene, and am thrilled to see that my students are devouring it as well. What a lovely picture of your mom! I visited my first County Fair this summer, and I enjoyed the young people there who worked so hard to show their prize livestock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, I actually have a collection of county fair poems b/c I love that environment so much. You are right about the hard work! Glad you got to go. xo

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful picture of your mother, I love how elegant she looks, even as she shows off her prize cow! Those were certainly more elegant times, weren't they? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I love that you used the world "elegant." My mom will love it too. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Your mom and her Jersey are both stunners (I think Jerseys are the prettiest cows ever!) And the book sounds so rootsy and wholesome. In this time of technology, bullying, and negative stuff, I'm glad there's still an appetite for stories about country fairs and taking care of animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Violet, I can't wait to tell my mom your appreciation for the Jersey. They are gorgeous with those caramel coats and chocolate eyes... xo

      Delete
  6. Lovely pic of your Mom! Just borrowed Moo from the library and can't wait to start reading it. Thanks for the excerpt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jama, my mom was a pretty amazing 4-H'er. Also an amazing mom. Thanks for stopping by. xo

      Delete
  7. I read MOO while on the airplane to Germany - loved it. I love that picture of your mother - showing livestock in a dress no less! So cool. Btw, it was SO great to meet you in person in WA. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridget, I feel the same way about meeting YOU! What a great airplane read. Hope you had a great time in Germany. xo

      Delete
  8. The photo of your mama is priceless. What a wonderful excerpt. I can't wait to get my hands on MOO! So fun and wonderful the relationship kids have with animals. They really do save us, those big hearted lugs that get primped for the Fair. Wonderful entry for today. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Putting this on my to-read list--I love Sharon Creech and have not yet seen Moo. That photo of your mom and Penny is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great ending to the poem. Kids should be able to care for animals. The photo of your mom is adorable. Such a clean looking cow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all of this. Especially the image of little Irene and her sister taking such pretty care of the ponies. Honestly dreamy! xx

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?