Friday, October 11, 2024

Autumn Poems Falling Here!

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Jama's Alphabet Soup for what's sure to be a delicious Roundup.

For today's ArtSpeak: FOLK ART, I've got an autumn poem. Friends, I have written MANY autumn poems! It's my most favorite season, maybe because it has so has many moods. . .

Grumpy: Today I'm Feeling Autumn

Sad: I Remember You in Autumn

Brave: Autumn Maple Haiku

Grateful: Autumn Prayer

Curious: Who Paints the Leaves in Fall?

Weary: Scarecrow's Wish

Fun: Three Black Cats

Dreamy: October Dreams

And today's poem is all about awe, gratitude, being in the present moment. The art is by Maggie Blanchett. Thank you so much for reading!



in autumn

the wild cathedral
doors swing wide

you remember
a hardwood forest

is built of stained
glass and sky

the air is so crisp,
reverent

even birds fold
their wings in prayer

you must kneel
before you step

into the river

- Irene Latham

p.s. if you'll be at NCTE-Boston, won't you please join us for a Poetry Peeps Meet-up? Friday, Nov. 22, 7-9 pm at the Crescendo in the Omni hotel lobby. Hope to see you there!



9 comments:

  1. Irene, both of your autumn prayers, today & in toggling back to 2019, are peace-bringing. Thank you for celebrating the all the seasons of this season, with so much panache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "even the birds. . .", a lovely thought, Irene! Time for gathering your fall poems into a book? Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene, so many wonderful autumn poems! Scarecrow’s Wish is so clever, and I love that you see a cathedral in that painting of birds and leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a delicious post! What’s not to love with a wild cathedral? Beautiful ending too with kneeling before stepping in the river. I also like the imagery of autumn poems falling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this jaunt through your many moods of autumn, Irene! Enjoy the time in Boston, it sounds wonderful. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene, I wish I was traveling to NCTE in Boston but this year I'm not. Say hellp to all my poet friends. Love these thoughts:-awe, gratitude, being in the present moment and even birds fold
    their wings in prayer, I read through some of your older poems. Thanks for sharing your poetic goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful image --a stained-glass forest! I love the reverence of birds --models of gratitude. Thank you, Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Autumn is such a magical month. Thank you for bringing me to the wide cathedral. I am always a little sad in autumn to see the invitations for NTCE and know I won't be attending.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really looking forward to Boston!!! And I love that you have fall poems for every mood.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?