Wednesday, June 3, 2009

DEAR MAMA AND RAY,


So on my mama's most recent visit, she brought me a treasure: a collection of letters she and my father wrote to her mother and stepfather (Mama and Ray) while our family was living in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, way back in the 1970's.

It's fascinating. And not just because it's about me and those I love. It's got history (we were there when King Faisal was assassinated) and it's a great record of what it's like to be young parents with four stair-step children and one on the way. And it's like stepping into another world, the way they detail daily life in Riyadh.

And now, of course, I've got a story brewing....

3 comments:

  1. What a gift. I am sure that in the future mothers will pass files filled with emails on to her daughters and while lovely it will not be the same.

    Can't wait to hear about your story!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting!Real letters! I used to write letters to my aunts and grandparents. I wonder if anyone kept any of those. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?