Friday, September 25, 2009

P IS FOR PATIENCE



Thanks to everyone for your wonderful, thoughtful comments about my book banning experience. Our world is a fascinating place.

Now. Continuing with the Author ABC's...

I should admit right up front that patience is not one of my virtues. I don't like to wait, I like to get things done NOW. And while that means I can easily handle deadlines and am a genius at multitasking, it also means I have regrets. For all those times when I wasn't patient.

Like when I dashed off a manuscript before it was ready. Or submitted an unworkshopped poem to a contest and won third place, when a workshopped poem might have won me first place. Or answered an email quickly, to get it off my to-do list, then thought about it and wished I had responded another way.

So, patience for me as a writer means being patient with myself most of all. There is nothing I can do about the glacial pace of the publishing industry. And let's face it, I'm not going to change my personality -- I am, and always will be impatient. I just have to be okay with making mistakes.

Getting there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?