Wednesday, November 4, 2009

U IS FOR US


Continuing with the Author ABCs...

As much as we writers spend time alone at a keyboard (or notebook or whatever), being an author is really about collaboration -- about taking the "me" and turning it into an "us."

This is not always easy, because let's face it, we writers generally like solitary. But when you get lucky and there's an agent whispering in your ear, or God bless you, and Excellent Editor, oh my, that is when the magic happens.

I really had no idea how much trust is involved in the Author/Editor relationship, or how the simple act of someone caring enough about my story to ask questions and make insightful comments would help that story become so much more.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, ignore that fierce desire to hold your story close to you and not change a thing. Allow the US to happen. You will look back on the experience with such joy and gratitude as you watch your story-seeds grow under all that Excellent Editor TLC.

And here's something else: as hard as it is, especially if your are introverted like me, involve others in your process. Tell people what you're doing, even when it's in the early stages. Let them be a part of your adventure. People will care about your project if only you'll invite them in...

picture found here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?