Sunday, April 4, 2010
MISADVENTURES OF A DEBUT AUTHOR, PART ONE
Okay, so I am not one to dwell on the things that go wrong in life. But there have been a few lately I've just got to share:
1. In my effort to pack light-very light, I brought just one pair of shoes to Michigan: knee-high black books guaranteed to go with anything! Well. Said boots were quite fun in the airport security line. And didn't quite work with the pajamas I wore each morning to get breakfast at the hotel. (I'm thinking flipflops for BEA in May. What do y'all think? :)
2. When I drove to Charlottesville for the Virginia Festival of the Book, I was rocking along so peacefully... until.... I got a speeding ticket. Yeah, Mr. "Do You Know How Fast You Were Going?" Thanks so much for that.
3. People ask me all the time how my kids feel about me being a "real writer," and I wish I had some great story to tell them. But the truth is, they are completely unimpressed. And the youngest, who is accustomed to me reading with him every night, got mad about it recently and said, "why do you have to go all these places?" Oh, the Working Mommy Guilt...
4. I love good food, love to eat, lovelovelove trying new restaurants in new places. So while I am so very happy for spring and sunshine and flowers, I am a wee bit scared of Bikini Season. (Do they make invisible Spanx to wear under bikinis? Because they totally should.)
5. While I have loved listening to books and music on CD, the road gets really lonely. So I pull out the cell phone, of course. Didn't realize just how much until I opened that last Verizon bill. Yikes!! If only texting while driving wasn't so freaking dangerous....