Monday, August 29, 2011

COPYEDITS, OH HOW I LOVE THEE

So, copyedits.

I love this stage of the publishing process. It's polishing time, agonize-over-just-the-right-verb time. Now is the time to make these words not just sing, but belt it out, baby! (That's Billie Holiday, by the way.)

It's also humbling. I mean, how many times have I been over this manuscript, and there are still three incidents of the word "go" in that paragraph??

Also, I get a kick out my dear editor's comments, esp. this one: "Really?" Translation: what you just wrote is pretty much impossible, but if you can prove it to me, I'm with you. :)

So think of me with furrowed brow, a thesaurus ever-open on the internet screen. Good stuff!

4 comments:

  1. The thesaurus is my best friend! Good luck, Irene. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My editor uses "Really?" too. And yes, it pretty much means the same thing.

    I should probably love the copyedit stage more than I do. I actually find it reather tedious. But it does mean that things are winding down (or up) and that is always good!

    Congrats on being at this place. I feel so far away from copyedits right now. I'd probably even welcome them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, what book? How come I don't know about this? Tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to see if I like copyedits...one day maybe I hope

    Maybe I'll learn to use commas :)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?