Wednesday, January 30, 2013

SKY WRITING

The sky is turtle-back grey today as storms approach from the west. School are operating on a three hour delay, so I still have kids asleep in the house. But that's not what I want to talk about.

This past weekend I drove to Chattanooga for a scrapbooking retreat. My  mother rode with me, and we got caught in a traffic maelstrom that doubled our travel-time. It was okay -- we were safe, and we had each other. And when we finally FINALLY arrived at our destination, there was this sky waiting for us:


Gorgeous. Within seconds we were all radiating that same light.

Later on, I had a chance to read again through The Poetry Friday anthology, in preparation for an upcoming presentation with April Halprin Wayland and Robyn Hood Black at Fay B. Kaigler children's book festival in Hattiesburg, MS. And I found this:

"One of my teachers told me, 'Never let a day go by without looking on three beautiful things.' I try to live up to that and find it isn't difficult. The sky in all weathers is, for me, the first of these three things."  - David McCord

What are your three beautiful things today?

12 comments:

  1. My little boys.
    The afternoon sun on the Mediterranean Sea.
    Learning about the mighty songs of little wrens for a story I'm writing.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww... sweetness! And how much do I love "mighty" in the same sentence as "wrens"?

      Delete
  2. Photos of my baby grandson, who lives in Birmingham, while I'm stuck in California.
    Knitting yarn, in a rainbow of colors.
    My curled-up, warmth-giving cat (yes, it's been cold even in California!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats and yarn and babies - YES! Thanks for stopping by. Must be hard to be far away from the wee one... you should start a Skype Grandma-n-me reading tradition with him as he gets older!

      Delete
  3. oh how I miss my mother and would give most anything to talk to her... the most anything is from my Grandmother who I miss talking to but have with me always in the life truths she taught me ... from her... never give anything for anything because God or the Devil might ask for it. Think about that. Would you give up a child, your husband, your health, so when you say I would give anything what you really mean is you would give anything that doesn't really matter to you so what is it worth??

    The warm arm that drapes over my waist each night... the trust in my faithful friends eyes... my chickens :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pink scabiosa (resuced from the plant hospital at Lowe's) blooming in January.
    Admiring six-year-old eyes meeting an author for the first time.
    The rain pattering on the roof as I curl up under the covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doraine, I don't even know what a scabiosa is! Love your oh so poetic list. Thank you. xo

      Delete
  5. the ancient cottonwood outside my office window
    the moon on the clear (& cold) nights
    new pics of my grandgirls

    Thanks for sharing the quote, Irene. That anthology is marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cottonwood and moon and grandgirls! How much do I love that?? thank you for sharing, Linda. xo

      Delete
  6. Hug from my daughter
    kiss from my husband
    warmth of the kid lit community

    thanks for making me think of my three beautiful things so far today, and for being part of the 2013 Comment Challenge!
    best,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee! Love your three things... and thank YOU for the warmth you bring to the kidlit community!

      Delete
  7. Hi, Irene. That is such beautiful advice. There is light snow here in Maryland this morning -- loveliness all around.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?