Wednesday, February 13, 2013

COTTON CANDY SKY




I took this picture last week in Mississippi. Imagine this field filled with cotton blossoms... or remember the last time you were at a county fair where those sticks of whipped, spun sugar called and called until you had to grab one and let the sweet stuff melt in your mouth.

Here's a couple of lines from a poem I wrote about fair food:


"She stopped short at the pink whirling, swirling machine
that served cotton candy airy as fresh whipped cream"


Speaking of fairs: we watched a quirky little comedy the other night that stars  Jennifer Garner as an uber-competitive butter sculptor. In some parts of the country, butter sculpting is a very big deal! Cute movie.

And here, just for fun, is a couple of lines from a butter sculpture poem I started but never finished:


"If we had a huge hunk of butter
we’d outcarve every woodcutter"

Anyone else have some "fair" verse to share?

3 comments:

  1. soooo which one of your boys refreshed your blog page... nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, you knew it wasn't me. :) Eric! I'm not in love with it, but it is nice to have something different. We'll see how long it lasts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no poem, but do love a funnel cake every once in a while! I remember loving cotton candy as a child, and corn dogs! There was no other place to get them then but the fairs. Maybe I have a poem after all, Irene. Thanks for the inspiration, and your sky pic is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?