Friday, November 29, 2013

IF YOU BUY ONLY ONE BOOK ON SMALL BUSINESS SATURDAY, MAKE IT THIS ONE

As promised, I'm back with a book suggestion. I've read lots of good books this year, but the one that stands out as my most favorite is ELEANOR & PARK by Rainbow Rowell. I envy those of you who have yet to read it! What a great experience. And kind of old-fashioned, which is so refreshing!

Be sure to visit your favorite indie bookseller tomorrow... Hope to see you at Alabama Booksmith on Saturday from 12-1!

AND since it is Poetry Friday, be sure to visit Carol at Carol's Corner! 'Tis the season for gratitude, and there is so, so much to be thankful for. It truly is a wonderful world.

Here is an excerpt form "A List of Praises" by Anne Porter:

Give praise with the skirting of seagulls
And the rattle and flap of sails
And gongs of buoys rocked by the sea-swell
Out in the shipping-lanes beyond the harbor.
Give praise with the humpback whales,
Huge in the ocean they sing to one another.

Give praise with the rasp and sizzle of crickets, katydids and cicadas,
Give praise with hum of bees,
Give praise with the little peepers who live near water.
When they fill the marsh with a shimmer of bell-like cries
We know that the winter is over.

Give praise with mockingbirds, day’s nightingales.
Hour by hour they sing in the crepe myrtle
And glossy tulip trees
On quiet side streets in southern towns.

Read the complete poem. Doesn't it make you want to write your own "praise" poem?! Let's do it!

3 comments:

  1. It is a lovely poem, Irene-makes me want to take a walk, look and look! And, yes, I agree about Eleanor & Park-gorgeous story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started a notebook of book titles to check out of the library or buy, so I will add this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book suggestion, Irene. Now that I see Linda recommends it, I am really going to look for it. Our Indie store is small, sad to say.....but I will look. Oh, the " rasp and sizzle of crickets, katydids ..." makes me think of summer and warm weather. It has been pretty cold here of late! Thanks for sharing this nice poem, also new to me! Happy Thanksgiving, Irene.
    Janet F.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?