Monday, November 18, 2013

MOVIE MONDAY: GRAVITY & CAPTAIN PHILLIPS

So we've seen some good movies lately. While it's tempting to throw them all at you at once, I'm going  break it up into today's "intense" version and next week's "families & relationships" version.

First, GRAVITY. What a great premise, and yes, Sandra Bullock gives a performance worthy of the attention its received. I'm kind of a space nut, so I was super interested in how this "lost in space without a ship" storyline would play out. Did I enjoy it? Ummmmm.... not exactly! It was TOO tense, too suspenseful to really enjoy. And that's saying something, isn't it? There's a moment in the movie where I thought, oh, here we go, movieland express. And then, the movie righted itself, or rather the movie let us know we'd been hoodwinked. It was a pretty brilliant move, and I'm sorry I can't discuss further without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it yet.
Go see it. You won't be sorry.

Next, CAPTAIN PHILLIPS. This one kind of reminded me of last year's ARGO, in that we know from the outset what happens, but the movie does a fine job of creating suspense so that you are on the edge of your seat anyhow. Tom Hanks earned it in the final scene, and I appreciated the effort toward providing backstory and motivation for the Somali pirates. Interesting. Again: did I enjoy it? Again: no exactly! Where's that easy breezy rom-com when you need it?! But an excellent movie, if intense is what you're after. :)

Next week: ABOUT TIME & THE SPECTACULAR NOW.

1 comment:

  1. I watched Santa Clause the movie and Mircle on 34th street...my grandchildren have the Christmas bug and I've been infected

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?