Monday, March 3, 2014

Movie Monday: 12 YEARS A SLAVE

So, 12 YEARS A SLAVE, which last night happened to have earned Best Picture at the Oscars! I've heard people say they know they should watch this movie, but they don't want to -- or they have to be in a certain frame of mind to embark upon this particular journey.

To that I say, yes, proceed with caution. But do proceed!

This movie made me shudder, squirm, cover my eyes, and cover my ears. It's a very itchy, uncomfortable movie. Beautifully made. But oh the horror and brutality! Man's inhumanity to man, indeed.

But. There is also hope and triumph and reunion and change. I've thought about the movie a lot since I saw it -- it's a great companion to THE INVENTION OF WINGS by Sue Monk Kidd, which I blogged about last week. An important movie and deserving of Oscar attention.

Were you watching last night like I was? Whose speech did you like best?? Any stars stand out to you? I actually dreamed last night of Brad and Angelina, so there you go. The power of the movies. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?