Wednesday, April 29, 2015

ARTSPEAK! Poem #29 "Yellow Dress"

Hello, and welcome to day #29 of ARTSPEAK!, my Poem-a-Day Project for National Poetry Month 2015, in which I am writing from images found in the online collections of the National Gallery of Art and focusing on dialogue, conversations, what does the piece say? 

Just one more poem to finish this project. WOW!

Today's piece is "The Bath" by Mary Cassatt.

I'm not the only one who's written on Mary Cassatt this month... see Catherine Flynn's poem (villanelle!)  on "Children in the Garden (the Nurse)." 

AND I suspect I chose my perspective after Laura Shovan's What Are You Wearing project. I have often written on clothing/textiles, like "Black Dress" and "The Quilts of Gee's Bend." And I"ve even written before on this piece of art, but for the adult audience (in my book THE COLOR OF LOST ROOMS)! 

And now for this poem:




Be sure to visit Donna at Mainely Write to see how our Progressive poem is finishing up!

7 comments:

  1. So gentle and comforting, like Cassat's tender paintings. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those active words, Irene: muffle, swaddle, drape. There's a book of poems for kids, all based on works from the National Gallery of Art. It's called "Paint Me a Poem." Recommended! Here's a blog post about the book: http://classroomtalk.com/?p=726

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just gorgeous, Irene, and so true! I especially love that this sunny dress makes "tears disappear" and "smells like milk/and Mama/and home." Thanks for the shout out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the beauty of the picture that makes one want to write about all the comfort of a warm bath with mama right there, the soft washcloth and towel waiting. It's a good memory to think of wrapping one's child up and cuddling. Beautiful that 'soft as May sunshine", Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so lovely and comforting, Irene!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?