Monday, June 15, 2015

The Summer of Harry Potter: HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE

So I just finished Book 1 in my Summer of Harry Potter. This is the only one of the books that I've read before, and I gotta say, having seen all the movies, it's kind of a microcosm of the whole series. We learn when Harry looks in the Mirror of Erised that what Harry really wants is family. And by the end of Book 1, he's found a family of sorts in Hagrid, Ron, Hermione and the Hogwarts family.

Something that stuck out to writer-me is how much HAPPENS in this book. It's very active, each chapter bringing some new, exiting adventure. No wonder so many readers love it!

My favorite passages come late in the book:

"The truth." Dumbledore sighed. "It is a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution."
---------------------

"Your mother died to save you. If there is one thing Voldemort cannot understand, it is love. He didn't realize that love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark. Not a scar, no visible sign... to have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever."

... and now on to HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS!

1 comment:

  1. I had just listened to all these books on audio. I had bought the movies when they were on sale last Christmas but would not watch them until I had l read the book. The books have so much more (of course).

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?