Tuesday, July 28, 2015

The Summer of Harry Potter: HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS

I've just finished the final book in my Summer of Harry Potter.  (My friend Pat said I should call this post THE END OF HARRY POTTER, but I just can't do it!) I'm sad that it's over! You can read about my experience so far:

HARRY POTTER AND THE SORCERER'S STONE

HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS

HARRY POTTER AND THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN

HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE

HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX

HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE


One thing I was acutely aware of when reading this final volume in the series was how high my expectations were. And, you know, I do have some memory of when the final book was released, how excited fans were, how curious I was about reader response: did they like it, not like it? I'm still amazed at all the threads J.K. Rowling wove together, and how much I loved how the ending moved us 19 years into the future to meet the offspring of our heroes. The sequence of Snape's memories was my favorite part of the book.

Some favorite scenes:

Harry and Ginny, parting, early in the book:

"I think dating opportunities are going to be pretty thin on the ground, to be honest."

"There's the silver lining I've been looking for," she whispered, and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhisky; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand at her back and one in her long, sweet-smelling hair--

---------------------------------------------

Ron and Harry, after Ron's return:

"I dunno," said Ron. Sometimes I've thought, when I've been a bit hacked off, he [Dumbledore] was having a laugh or -or he just wanted to make it more difficult. But I don't think so, not anymore. He knew what he was doing when he gave me the Deluminator, didn't he? He -- well," Ron's ears turned bright red and he became engrossed in a tuft of grass at his feet, which he prodded with his toe, "He must've known I'd run out on you."

"No," Harry corrected him. "He must've known you'd always want to come back."

----------------------------------------------

At the Shell Cottage:

He [Harry] felt that he was still groping in the dark; he had chosen his path but kept looking back,wondering whether he had misread the signs, whether he should not have taken the other way.

-----------------------------------------------

With Voldemort in the forest:

Slowly, very slowly, he sat up, and as he did so he felt more alive and more aware of his own living body than ever before. Why had he never appreciated what a miracle he was, brain and nerve and bounding heart? It would all be gone... or at least, he would be gone from it. His breath came slow and deep, and his mouth and throat were completely dry, but so were his eyes.

-----------------------------------------------

With Dumbledore:

The realization of what would happen next settled gradually over Harry in the long minutes, like softly falling snow.
"I've got t go back, haven't I?"
"that is up to you."
"I've got a choice?"
"Oh, Yes." Dumbledore smiled at him. "We are in King's Cross, you say? I think that if you decided not to go back, you would be able to... let's say... board a train."
....
"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present."
...
"Tell me one last thing," said Harry. "Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?"
Dumbledore beamed at him, and his voice sounded loud and strong in Harry's ears even though the bright mist was descending again, obscuring his figure.
"Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
--------------------------------------------


Big big sigh. So much truth in these books. I'm so glad I've finally read the series! And now, again, off to Etsy! :)

Also, just sitting here thinking... what's my patronus? (I've written about this before, although with different language.) What's yours??

1 comment:

  1. I know I joke about this but I'm back in the real world now ... I think my patonus would be a fox

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?