Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Revising Backwards

Among other things, I am in the middle of a novel revision.

This process seems endless, and I often lose my enthusiasm. But the other day, when I was ready to go shop on etsy instead, something wonderful happened. My mind flashed to my cello lesson.

Sometimes when I am struggling with a piece, my teacher Laura will take me through it backwards. We work through each trouble spot from the end to beginning, and then I play the piece start-to-finish, incorporating the corrections. It's an amazingly simple technique that somehow opens the brain (and the fingers!). Other musicians claim it makes learning a piece faster and practice sessions more efficient.

So I decided to try it with my writing. And you know? I saw things I hadn't seen before. I made connections. The narrative arc became more clear to me, and I realized one of the main problems with the plot was that my main character would NOT do what I was having her do. No way was that going to fly.

Sure, I probably would have figured this out eventually. But I truly believe it was this backwards approach that got me out of myself and more into my heroine and her story.

So, writers: next time you're struggling, try going backwards!

Also, turns out you can stimulate your fitness IQ, by walking backwards. Who knew?

3 comments:

  1. I like hearing that your music lessons helped in your writing, Irene. It sounds like something good to try! Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice! You need a fresh pair of eyes whatever way you can get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, my fiddle teacher has done the same thing! I'm going to try this with my novel revision. I did make a chapter chart, but that is chronological. What did help was printing out a blank calendar for the 1959 month I'm working in and filling it in backwards. That helped me see that I had to move up a scene. Backwards we go!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?