Monday, July 2, 2018

Meeting Mrs. Vandenberg


Reed Books (Birmingham, AL)
When Charles Waters wanted to name the teacher in our book CAN I TOUCH YOUR HAIR? after a special real-life teacher, I was delighted! Teachers are heroes and should be celebrated. I was also delighted to connect with Becky (aka Mrs. Vandenberg) on Twitter and learn all the ways she's impacted Charles' (and others!) life. It never occurred to me that I might someday get to actually *meet* her.

But that's exactly what happened! It was my good fortune that a wedding brought Becky and her family to Birmingham last week, so after they visited the Civil Rights Museum, we met up at one of my most favorite Birmingham spots: Reed Books and Museum of Fond Memories, curated by my dear friend Jim Reed.

not "just" a bookstore... so much stuff!

so many books, so little time...

Becky and her family immediately shared my love of Reed Books, and I'm so grateful to Becky's son for taking these gorgeous bookstore pics with his fancy camera -- including this one:

Mrs. Vandenberg and Me

... and one final shot of Reed Books to savor, because Jim will be moving the store soon... 

yes, all these books will have to be moved! Wow.




2 comments:

  1. Well, if this isn't the greatest blog post ever, I don't know what is! So happy this meeting took place. Thanks for taking me to Reed Books when I visited Birmingham earlier this year. Irene and Mrs. V. Love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, nothing beats meeting teachers who make a difference. I love that Charles named the character after the real life inspiration! And Reed Books - what a fun place to meet! Will he still be in the area after his move?

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?