Sunday, February 17, 2019

The Butterfly Hours Memoir Project: COUCH

For 2019 I'm running a year-long series on my blog in which I share my responses to the writing assignment prompts found in THE BUTTERLY HOURS by Patty Dann.
I welcome you to join me, if you like! I've divided the prompts by month, and the plan is to respond to 3 (or so) a week. For some of these I may write poems, for others prose. The important thing is to mine my memory. Who knows where this exploration will lead?
In January I wrote about: apron, bar, basketball, bed, bicycle, birthday, boat, broom, button, cake, car.
Here are February's prompts: chair, chlorine, church, concert, cookbook, couch, dancing, desk, dessert, dining room table, diploma. COUCH
We moved a lot when I was a kid. And as a family that included five kids, were quite rough on furniture. I'm sure we always had a couch, but I can't really remember any of them! So I've written a poem about some of the things I remember happening on the couch -- even though I can't quite remember the couch. :)
Couch
Blue couch, green couch –
snuggle-up-and-read couch.
Green couch, brown couch –
let's-all-watch-TV couch.
Brown couch, yellow couch –
Mama's-taking-a-nap couch.
Yellow couch, beige couch –
wait-right-here couch.
Beige couch, blue couch –
all-grown-up couch.
- Irene Latham

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?