Friday, March 8, 2019

"On Forgetting That I Am a Tree" by Ruth Awolola

Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit one of the kindest people on the planet Catherine at Reading to the Core for a celebration of International Women's Day!

If you haven't signed up yet for a line in this year's Progressive Poem, there's still room! Click here to sign up. We'd love to have you.

I've been busy this week with students in Shelby County, Alabama... what an honor to share with these amazing kids and educators about my books and the writing life and Alabama!

Also, good news: I am one of 13 speakers (along with fellow children's poet Charles Ghigna) included in Read Alabama 200, a program through Alabama's Bicentennial Commission which will fund my visit to speak to groups in Alabama about my Alabama books, like LEAVING GEE'S BEND, DON'T FEED THE BOY and MEET MISS FANCY. This is a great opportunity, and any Alabama readers who may be interested, I'd love to hear from you!


I do have a women's history poem for you from SHE IS FIERCE: Brave, bold and beautiful poems by women, selected by Ana Sampson. If you haven't seen this poem before, you are in for a treat: "On Forgetting That I Am a Tree" by Ruth Awolola. Here's the poet reading the poem herself! Wishing all a happy weekend, and a happy day... don't forget to change your clock! :)




15 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Irene, on being part of Alabama Read 200! Very cool. And I love this poem--especially the bit about how she changes with the seasons, but does so so beautifully that it seems as though the seasons are changing with her. That really struck me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wowwed by that young poet.
    That's terrific that you will get to travel around sharing your Alabama books! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the poem, great reading! Must look for She is Fierce. And congrats on Read Alabama 200!! Have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Call their names into my skin" That is what I'll remember, Irene. It is lovely to meet Ruth Awolola. And congratulations for being invited to speak at Read Alabama 200! That is special for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is an amazing young poet. Thank you for sharing this. Congratulations for being a speaker at Read Alabama200! I wish I could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's just lovely. I like "I am a habitat."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a great poem! Thanks for sharing that video reading.

    Congrats on your success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I tried picking just a few favorite lines, but they are all so beautiful. And hearing the poet speak it was just perfection. Congratulations on being invited to speak for Read Alabama 200!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Irene on being one of the 13 speakers for the "Read Alabama 200! You'll have to fill us in on this afterward. Thanks for sharing this gorgeous poem by Ruth Awolola, she's new to me and I love the poem–perhaps because it's about trees and roots both physical and metaphorical, what an awakening spirit and voice she has!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so stinkin' fun to see you get to hear that you are working with kids and speaking and growing as a professional poet-author. Hooray on all counts! I know you are the perfect speaker for Alabama kidlit. Enjoy every moment. And, yes. Yes, I was WOWED by Ruth...people carving names into my skin. So much to love in her words and her recitation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how I love this poem! I am going to pair it with Liz's "a fact is a fish" to celebrate metaphors with my students! THANK YOU for this beautiful strong young poet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too hard to pick favourite lives - though I do find myself coming back to that turning point - 'because I am home, I am habitat...' and the crescendo of affirmations that follow.

    Yay you and for you, on Read Alabama 200. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

    And yes, Mary Lee - that is a perfect pairing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Irene, for being part of ReadAlabama! What an exciting opportunity. Thank you for introducing us to Ruth Awolola. Her poem is powerful and profound. There are so many lines to love, but I think these are my favorite:
    "Remember I have witnessed creation,
    That I am key to it."
    (Thank you, too, for your kind words. I feel the same way about you!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tuesday morning: my latest Poetry Friday commenting ever! I'm owning it.
    This is a such a find, this poem, such a voice, this woman, such an accent (to bring me back to London)! Thanks for sharing it, and with everyone I wish you congratulations on being chosen to bring artful Alabama words to Alabama kids.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Powerful poem and thank you for sharing the video so we could see the poet and hear her voice. I'm going to share it on Facebook, Irene!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?