Sunday, March 24, 2019

The Butterfly Hours Memoir Project: FOOD


For 2019 I'm running a year-long series on my blog in which I share my responses to the writing assignment prompts found in THE BUTTERLY HOURS by Patty Dann.

I welcome you to join me, if you like! I've divided the prompts by month, and the plan is to respond to 3 (or so) a week. For some of these I may write poems, for others prose. The important thing is to mine my memory. Who knows where this exploration will lead?
In January I wrote about: apron, bar, basketball, bed, bicycle, birthday, boat, broom, button, cake, car.

In February: chair, chlorine, church, concert, cookbook, couch, dancing, desk, dessert, dining room table, diploma.

Here are March's prompts: divorce, door, dream, emergency room, envelope, eyebrows, first apartment, first job, food, game, garden.


FOOD

I grew up with an obese father and a mother who was perpetually on a diet. My mother was also perpetually unhappy with my father's obesity. So, food – weight – has often been a focus in my life. It meant my father was not one of those active fathers... I remember Grandma Dykes saying “Kenny never did like exercise.” (Kenny was my father. ) “Kenny” also loved a big meal, preferably a meat-n-potato meal. He loved his steak medium rare. He also got offended if a server questioned his preferences.

Photo by Pedro Ribeiro on Unsplash
One time at a restaurant when he asked for ketchup, the server said, “you don't need ketchup with this steak.” My father was like, “don't you know sometimes I order a steak just to eat ketchup?”

He was funny.

He was also a snacker. I remember riding in his car as a teen and noticing (for the first time) all the snack wrappers – candy bars and pork rinds and coke cans.

One time he decided to diet, and he lost 100 pounds using SlimFast. It was weird, him being so small – I remember thinking he wasn't my cuddly Papa-bear anymore. It wasn't long before he gained it all back.

All this focus on weight – whether direct or indirect – made me hyper-conscious about weight and healthy. For many years I weighed myself every day, just to be sure I wasn't slipping. I no longer subject myself to that kind of intense scrutiny, but I still have body image issues that I know are linked to this family history.

One of the best things I've done for my health in recent years is banish the scale... and add veggie juice to my daily diet. My favorite recipe includes spinach, zucchini, celery, cucumber, and a lime. Put it all in the Nutriblender, and voila!

1 comment:

  1. Irene this really hit me because I was such a thin person for so long (prior to the birth later in life of my only child) and then began gaining weight after a successful diet over 10 years ago, and it got worse in the last couple of years. I was lucky and found the answer for me. It is a way to avoid yo-yo dieting and it is based on metabolic research. I am losing easily, but what I want most of all is to be healthy and to be slim enough to be in the "normal" range, not obsessed with being slim. So far so good. I look at thin people who can eat "rich food" like dessert and wonder how it is possible, but understanding the metabolic big picture has really helped me. Of 4 siblings 3 out of 4 were very slim. Then I gained. The "magic key" to understanding weight and gaining and food is a big deal to so many and one most don't like to talk about. And many have false assumptions and judgmental opinions. I bought the Butterfly book because I hope to be using it!!!Janet F.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?