Wednesday, April 3, 2019

ARTSPEAK: Happy! poem "On a Golden Day in May"

Happy National Poetry Month! I'm excited to be continuing my ARTSPEAK series -- this year with poems on the theme of "Happy." Read why in my introductory post.

Girl in a Yellow Dress after "A Girl in a Yellow Dress, 1917" by Amedeo Modigliani.

When the Stars Come to Town after "Cafe Terrace at Night" by Vincent van Gogh.

Today's piece is "Checkered House" by Grandma Moses. I love the energy of this piece! So much is going on. You can tell it's just one of those happy spring days when everyone is glad to be outdoors and anything seems possible. And what does the checkered house think about all this? Well....


On a Golden Day in May
after “Checkered House” by Grandma Moses

People passing on the road
wave, hello hello!
as spring's green envelope unfolds
to reveal fields of gold

and the checkered house
with its wide-open windows
watches them go –

because the house knows
it's sun and rain that make the gold grow,
and not every dawn holds such a glow.

Time now to relax and enjoy the show.
Who knows? Tomorrow might
blow in a tornado.

And if it does you'll be glad
you played this day like a piano.
What are you waiting for?
                                           GO!
- Irene Latham






Be sure to visit Kimberly @KimberlyHutmacherWrites for today's line in our 2019 Progressive Poem, now in progress!

6 comments:

  1. I like the personification of the house and the images of light in both your poem and the painting. The patchwork pattern in the painting reminds me of a quilt and the multicultural patterns of our country.

    Irene, I love ekphrastic poems and finding inspiration in art. Your ArtSpeak project pushes me to learn more about important works of art. It’s also fueling my own writing this month. ❤️ 🖼

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheer delight! Love "as spring's green envelope unfolds
    to reveal fields of gold," and "you played this day like a piano." Wonderful painting (I'm partial to checks), playful and uplifting poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to 'play the day like a piano', Irene! This is so perfect for a lovely day in spring. I wonder if there really was a checkered house? Grandma Moses' paintings always make me feel good, as does your poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the quilt behind you which led me to wonder if you would have a different backdrop for every day of this month. Jack and I just listened to the poem together. When it was finished, I repeated "What are you waiting for?" And Jack gleefully replied, "Go!" There's probably no finer word for a two year old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving this year's happy poems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Ruth said! Just groovin' on the happy! (Plus, I love having all my poetry peeps hanging on the halls of my school!)

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?