Wednesday, July 3, 2019

The Butterfly Hours Memoir Project: MOON

For 2019 I'm running a year-long series on my blog in which I share my responses to the writing assignment prompts found in THE BUTTERLY HOURS by Patty Dann.

I welcome you to join me, if you like! I've divided the prompts by month, and the plan is to respond to 3 (or so) a week. For some of these I may write poems, for others prose. The important thing is to mine my memory. Who knows where this exploration will lead?

For links to the prompts I've written on so far this year, please click on The Butterfly Hours tab above. 



This month's prompts include: mail, moon, mouse, moving, museum, music, music lesson, name, necklace, neighbor, nightgown.

MOON

full moon over our lake
(when we were out
night fishing)
No clear memories are coming to me for this one... but a LOT of fragmented bits. So I've decided to share a most recent "moon" bit. Paul and I have seen Bob Seger in concert a number of times, and one lyric that always always stands out to us is from "Shame on the Moon."

"oh, blame it on midnight
ooh shame on the moon"

I mean, who says that? The moon is generally portrayed as wise and gentle and all-seeing... and then... THIS. Turns out the song was originally written and recorded by Rodney Crowell, whose storytelling-song style reminds me of Johnny Cash. I love the way this music make me feel. I mean, the moon has secrets, right? She is an enchantress...I am enchanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?