Sunday, September 22, 2019

The Butterfly Hours Memoir Project: SANDWICH


-->


For 2019 I'm running a year-long series on my blog in which I share my responses to the prompts found in THE BUTTERFLY HOURS by Patty Dann. I welcome you to join me, if you like! I've divided the prompts by month, and the plan is to respond to 3 (or so) a week. For some of these I may write poems, for others prose. The important thing is to mine my memory. Who knows where this exploration will lead?

For links to the prompts I've written on so far this year, please click on The Butterfly Hours tab above.

This month's prompts are pipe, playground, prayers, recipes, ribbon, rice, road, saltwater, sandwich, school, sewing.

SANDWICH

For most of my school years, I brought my lunch (in a lunch box when I was young; brown paper sack when I was older). 

-->
For most of those lunches, what I packed was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich: chunky peanut butter with apple jelly. Such a simple pleasure! I still love chunky peanut butter, but it's been a long time since I had apple jelly! I think I'll remedy that soon.

A memory from our honeymoon: we were on a day-diving trip off the coast of Little Cayman. When it came time for lunch, they passed out the sandwiches, and you got what you got. I got salami, which isn't my favorite. I turned to Paul and said, “you got ham.” He traded sandwiches with me, without a word. Sweet man!

Another sandwich-memory: Paul has a Sunday lunch sandwich tradition. While he's fixing his sandwiches (the fattest peanut butter and jelly sandwiches you've ever seen!), he sings a little song: “It's sandwich sandwich sandwich time!” He's been doing this FOREVER. We realized what an impact this had when our son Andrew was filling a sheet with answers about about his father (maybe for Father's Day?). For the prompt “what is your father's favorite food?” Andrew wrote: “sandwiches.” :)

--> -->

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?