Friday, May 5, 2023

Vespers poem

 Hello and Happy May! Be sure to visit lovely Linda at TeacherDance for Roundup.

This week I posted over at Smack Dab in the Middle about 3 Ways to Grow as A Writer. I hope you'll check it out!

In other news, I learned I'll be attending ALA Chicago in June. If any Poetry Friday friends are also attending, would you please let me know?

This week's ArtSpeak: Light poem is a prayer for light that is fading...and for deer! If you look really close, you'll see there's a herd of deer in that fog. Cool, huh? Thanks so much for reading!





Vespers

To the sun
who has shone
so bright,
so steadfast

To the field
who offers
sweet,
tender grass

To the mist
who swaddles
all in warm
ghost-light

A whisper
of appreciation
as this bit
of the world

rounds
      into
            night.

-Irene Latham

13 comments:

  1. I've been in love with the word vespers for a long time. This is a beautiful example of a vesper. Soft, full of gratefulness and peace and just tipping toward night but not there yet. Lovely. And, you give great advice in the blog post! All of it rings true for me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, I can't believe I forgot to award you this year's 2023 gold medal for Poetry Pandemonium. Your poem, 'Together' was match up against 'A Perfect Place' by Janice Scully. 'Together' was deemed the winner by students in my school. Applause and congratulations to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This thought of ending the night with "a whisper of appreciation" is a special thought, Irene. The quiet of both the poem and the picture brings lovely contentment. Thanks and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irene, what a magical journey to night you have written here. My favorite image is "To the mist / who swaddles / all in warm /
    ghost-light" Wow. So beautiful. Congratulations on the "How to Grow as a Writer" post, and thanks for the good writing advice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, this is gorgeous. I love fog, dusk, deer, and poetry, and you've woven them together magically. While I like the painting, I don't even need it to enjoy this ode.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for giving life to sun, field, mist with "who" -- I feel like a mother with a full heart, tucking in her children for the night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it all, but my favorite stanza is:T
    the mist
    who swaddles
    all in warm
    ghost-light

    Thanks for this beautiful evening prayer, Irene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "A whisper / of appreciation" indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous poem. I love the word vespers and really love mist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As so many other have said, this is gorgeous, Irene! I love the way you structured each stanza and the gentle turn as day "rounds into night."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love both the painting and the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, did you know Pissarro was from the Caribbean?

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?