Friday, July 14, 2023

Poem for a Blue Afternoon

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit lovely Linda at A Word Edgewise for Roundup.

First, I want to send up a little prayer of thanksgiving for Mary Ann Hoberman who died earlier this month at the age of 92. She gave us so many beautiful poems and books! Recently I read this short one, which to me is a celebration of introversion and solitude. Being alone doesn't necessarily mean being lonely! I'm grateful for this message for myself and for kids everywhere:

Sometimes

Sometimes I like to be alone

And look up at the sky

And think my thoughts inside my head—

Just me, myself, and I.

- Mary Ann Hoberman


Next, please allow me to share some inspiration and direction for those in our community working this summer on solo poetry collections! I love the following advice from one of our UK poetry peeps/editor Janetta Otter-Barry. Plus, it uses the word "light," not once, but twice! 

"If you’re writing poetry for a solo collection make sure there’s a wide range of moods and tones. Light and shade. Poetry is a great way to address important issues but it needs to be done with a light touch. Experiment with different forms. Mix rhyming verse and free verse. The more variety the better."

Finally: Today's ArtSpeak: Light poem combines a few of my favorite things: blue & water & mystery & light...and perhaps a whispering to a touchstone poem for me and many others: Mary Oliver's "Wild Geese." Thanks so much for reading!


On a Blue Afternoon

throw open a window

grab sky by the eyeful

you don't have to think

you don't have to choose

ocean is a blanket of light

let it unfold you

-Irene Latham

12 comments:

  1. Yes, many thoughts of gratitude for Mary Ann Hoberman. I think I will spend time with some of her words today. Your last line, "let it unfold you" is lovely and a surprise...I think of folding a blanket but letting an ocean blanket unfold me? Now that's cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda, that's what I was going for...I think the expected word would be "enfold." Thanks for reading and for hosting PF Roundup! xo

      Delete
  2. Irene, the last line of your poem has made this morning a special day. I have light shining into my spaces and a feeling of peace, thanks to your blog post. The clouds in the sky are waiting for me to just be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene, thank you for your tribute with the poet's affirmation that being alone can be more than okay. Love your poem with its reminder that "You only have to" throw open a window!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A rich, varied post in few words, Irene - thanks for all of it. The tribute to Mary Ann Hoberman, the oh-so-helpful advice re. collections that I'll return to, and your scrumptious blue poem. Summer is a good time to unfold ourselves! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene, thank you for telling me about Mary Ann, whose poems I have loved. In fact, the one you shared with us is one of my favorite poems by Mary Ann. Thank you for sharing advice on collections. Your poem is a beautiful pairing with the painting. I love it and I am especially drawn to these images: grab sky by the eyeful / ocean is a blanket of light / let it unfold you! Would it be okay if I wrote your poem in my notebook to use as a mentor poem with a copyright symbol by your name? It inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love remembering Mary Ann Hoberman. She was a poetry-genius! And this advice about collections--thank you! I've been busy revision mine and just really hoping I'm going in the right direction. I love "grab the sky by the eyeful"!!!!! Wowza!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love "grab sky by the eyeful" and just the whole notion of the ocean as a blanket of light. Thanks so much for sharing your words, thoughts, advice, and tribute to Mary Ann Hoberman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh...grab sky by the eyeful! Spot on, Irene! And as always, thank you for the poetry writing tips :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a mix of emotions and moods bound up in your post Irene. Like, Rose I was most taken by the line 'grab sky by the eyeful.' I recall the poetry of Mary Ann Hoberman. I have frequently shared her words with emerging young poets. Some excellent advice you have shared as well, Irene. I agree, a mix of moods and tones is most important when creating a poetry collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some of my favorite things, too, Irene, so no surprise that I adore this week's art/poem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "a window" –a portal, "grab sky by the eyeful" ocean and light–ah what an energizing invitation from your poem Irene, and Matisse's lovely painting to dive into, and so many rich extras here, thanks for all Irene!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?