Friday, September 8, 2023

Come Fire, Come Fall poem

Rosie says hello!
 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit amazing Amy at The Poem Farm for Roundup. And don't miss Amy's new book, THE SOUND OF KINDNESS! It's so very Amy. 

Also, my Poetic Forever Friend Charles Waters has a new book out with Traci Sorell: a verse novel titled MASCOT. So many congratulations to these two!

Here in the Alabama foothills of the Appalachias, we've got so many happy things going on! Football season, cooler weather, my cello choir back in rehearsals, a slew of family/friends birthdays...and my MOON book coming in a week in a half. Some folks have reported already receiving their pre-ordered copies...yay! I haven't even received *my* copies yet!

Read early reviews at Beyond LiteracyLink, A Word Edgewise, and Imagine the Possibilities. Thank you, my fellow selenofiles! (That's a new word to me...it's what you call someone who loves the moon!)

Speaking of the moon, this week I got a Google alert that sent me to this most whimsical moon-shaped postcard! I absolutely love it. I ended up ordering quite a few things from the etsy shop from whence it came: NoteworthyPaperPress. If you love paper and mail—and I know many in our community do—please check them out.

I've been reading a lot of adult books lately: Tom Lake by Ann Patchett, Spare by Prince Harry, Life in the Garden by Penelope Lively. Good stuff!

This week's ArtSpeak: LIGHT poem is all about anticipation and longing for that glorious fall season (my favorite!). It won't be long now...





come fire, come fall

o blazing season of leaf-crackle
and falling-back clock

of forest-spark and quiet rot,

come fold us
into your smoldering

for you we burn and yearn

- Irene Latham

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations to both you and Charles! Can't wait to read both of your books. Love the artspeak! You always manage to capture the essence of the work with your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your book, Irene, though I haven't shared it yet, but I will. And I can't believe you haven't received your copies, yet! Oops! I love fall, too, and that 'smoldering', the 'burn and yearn'! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to reading your Moon book Irene, and hope that it finds you very soon. Perfect art image for your fiery fall poem—Enjoy fall as it unfolds its marvel and treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "we burn and yearn" indeed! We had a hint-of-fall day today, perfect for working in the garden (begone, weeds that crept in during the hot spell!). I can't wait to see your book in person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene, I love that autumn poem. It even sounds a little Halloweenish in tone. I love the sound of these hyphenated words and the clock/rot assonance.
    "o blazing season of leaf-crackle
    and falling-back clock

    of forest-spark and quiet rot,"

    ReplyDelete
  6. "come fold us/ into your smoldering" -- sounds sinfully delicious! -- And I received my MOTM copy this week which was also DELICIOUS! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so looking forward to fall and you captured it perfectly, Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just listening to a fairytale podcast that discussed different forms of speech --and enchantments were a feature. This is a lovely enchantment. Yes, come fall...and the fire too. Now, I have a slight etsy problem...too many of my pennies end up there. But, a new shop?! I must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your poem is filled with gorgeous sounds and is a delight to read aloud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a burn ban because of the extreme heat and drought, so I don't know what that means for sugarcane, but usually fall air is full of the sweet smell of burning cane. I know it's bad for those with allergies, but I love the smell. I haven't gotten my pre-ordered copy yet. You must be chomping at the bit to get yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fall is my favorite season and your poem is full of its delights - leaf-crackle, forest-spark, smoldering. I'm just finishing up Tom Lake (sigh!). I opted for the audio version mostly because it is performed by Meryl Streep. And what a performance she gives.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Irene, your book is finally coming to the public! I have heard so many positives about your amazing book. It is wonderful also that Charles has a new book. Your ArtLight poem is full of smoldering beauty and I concur with your thought: "come fold us/ into your smoldering". My fall decorations are slowly being showcased in different rooms in my house. Happy Fall and yes the Etsy shop has some sweet items for correspondence.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just got Charles and Traci's book in the mail this week and I can't wait to read it! I am also looking forward to TOM LAKE, and I thoroughly enjoyed the audio version of SPARE. Your poem! Oh, I love the line: "of forest-spark and quiet rot."

    ReplyDelete
  14. This poem wraps me in the fire of fall, and oh how I love it! Each. Word. Congratulations on your newest book - the moon is lucky to be your subject. xo, a.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?