Friday, October 13, 2023

Sewing as a Metaphor

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit for Heidi at my juicy little universe for Roundup.

October is turning out to be round and full as the O that begins its name! 

This past week has included many of my most favorite things, and the fun is not over yet: this afternoon I'll be presenting at Homewood Library about my MOON book to help celebrate tomorrow's eclipse...and then it's Fall Festival time! This is an annual tradition in my community, and this year I'm in charge of the Silent Auction while Paul is in charge of grilling 400 hot dogs. Fun!

Today's ArtSpeak: LIGHT poem features another favorite thing of mine: sewing! 

While I am not the Embroidery Queen like others among us (Mary Lee!), I do love stitching, especially quilting...and I learned from my mother, who is quite an amazing seamstress. So of course I was smitten by this piece of art. 

I also adore sewing as a metaphor, and this poem gave me a chance to learn more about the traditional embroidery stitches and knots. AND...following a trend in my writing of late, this poem is ala Emily Dickinson: title-less. Sometimes a title is an essential tool, and sometimes a poet just wants to jump right in! 

Thanks so much for reading, and may your October be plump with all the things you love best!




mother and daughter

make a French knot

as sun puts in a satin stitch—

another embroidery morning

- Irene Latham

15 comments:

  1. Irene, I love how you are able to see the French knot between mother and daughter. You have such keen powers of observation and connection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delight to include Sun in this intimacy.
    400 hot dogs! My dad would love your fall festival!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your poem and embroidering, though it's been years since I picked up my needle and thread. I do remember French knots, though. Beautiful art too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that the Sun has joined this intimate moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sewing as a metaphor is fabulous... stitch worthy! And those French knots, just as tricky as mother/daughter time can be, but so beautiful when they turn out right. I'm teaching my granddaughters to sew. Plump times indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely poem and image Irene–love the "embroidery morning" and sun puts in a satin stitch—" stunning and just rolls off your tongue! Good luck with the Fall Festival, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the french knots and the embroidery morning,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love the blend of mafic moment and personification here. A perfect o indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Irene, I love Sun putting in the satin stitch. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love Sun putting in the satin stitch. Beautiful moment between mother and daughter. I hope you enjoyed the festival! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I says yes, yes, yes to this metaphor, Irene!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes to sewing as a powerful metaphor and yes to every "embroidery morning!" (Thanks for the shout-out! I'm excited to be teaching my first embroidery class this coming Saturday!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The line "another embroidery morning" brings me back to my cross-stitching days. Irene, your poem works delightfully for the artwork. Have a wonderful embroidery morning today.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?