Friday, December 15, 2023

Winter Garden poem

 Hello and Happy Poetry Friday! Be sure to visit Janice at Salt City Verse for Roundup.


It's been quite a busy season round these parts, so I especially loved getting in the mail my Winter Poem Swap gift from Michelle Kogan. I am a huge fan of Michelle's art and poetry, so I knew the package would be full of delights...and it was! 

Michelle gifted me some watercolor pencils, which I have already been experimenting with (while on hold during a phone call! :) along with forest-y bookmarks and the most marvelous Moon gift:


Y'all, it's an accordion notebook! With a gorgeous moon! And the poem is one Michelle wrote by finding words in my book THE MUSEUM ON THE MOON. Isn't that so so special? I just want to hug it...and I have! So many thanks to Tabatha, our Poetry Swap Mama, and of course to my moon sister Michelle. 

Here's the poem:

Moon's Dream
for Irene

Rekindle Moon's
olive branch of Peace...
A wee sparkling gift
from a wee blue planet
A Moon wish for humanity.

—Michelle Kogan

--

This week's ArtSpeak: LIGHT poem features the garden! And a triolet—which, as it turns out, is kind of my go-to form whenever I'm stuck. Only 8 lines to start with, and really, once you've written just two lines, you've written most of the poem! 

Here are links to some other triolets I've written:

Triolet for Planting Day

Tiger Talk Triolet

"Humility" from DICTIONARY FOR A BETTER WORLD

"Welcome, Earthlings!" (triolet that opens THE MUSEUM ON THE MOON)

I do, often, take liberties with the form. So I'd call today's poem a "variation on a triolet."

Here's why: The triolet calls for a repeat of the second line as the final line of the poem. That doesn't always suit my poetic aesthetic, because I often want the poem to go somewhere, not just back around. So...here I took the second line (all about winter root growth) and wrote a "parallel" final line all about spring growth.

*Let this be your reminder that forms are great, but if your poetic sensibilities lead you AWAY from the form, that's okay! Just call it a variation, and you're good to go!



Winter Garden

There's a garden under that snow.
Deep in cozy soil, roots stretch, unfurl.
Plants need privacy, did you know?
Yes, there's a garden under that snow.
Plants carry the light required to grow
while winter sky is all storm and swirl.
There a garden under that snow!
Come spring, watch green shoots pop, uncurl.

- Irene Latham

Thanks so much for reading! If you are in the Birmingham area, Charles Waters and I would love to see you Tuesday night, Dec. 19, 6 pm at Hoover Library where we are closing out the "Stories of Exile" series with a presentation about AFRICAN TOWN. See you there!



11 comments:

  1. Michelle's poem swap gifts are just perfect for you!! Love her moon poem and your lovely winter's garden triolet. The form seems perfectly suited to the subject, that sense of anticipation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just the perfect gift from Michelle. So personal! And your triolet variation is wonderful with its feeling of promise. I know what you mean about that last line coming around, but I *usually* feel like the line now has a new meaning or added weight because of what the rest of the poem has shown me. Hmm...I'm going to think about this next time I write a triolet. Have a wonderful presentation with Charles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your poem Irene and this line, "Plants need privacy, did you know? Makes me smile and feel good. Thanks for sharing my swap for you, enjoy! All the best for you and Charles at your talk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Michelle's moon poem for you! What a wonderful creation from your own words (which are another wonderful creation)! I also like thinking of a garden under the snow -- things happening down there when everything up top seems to be napping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Michelle's moon gift is quite a beautiful gift for you, Irene. I would hug it, too! And I really adore this recent 'light' poem. As we enter months of winter, your words feel like a comfort of things we must remember: "There's a garden under that snow". Do not forget! Have a lovely time with Charles & your presentation. Wishing for a fast way to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A wonderful triolet! I've been leaning on that form lately when I feel like I've fallen off the writing wagon and want back on. It's a fun form and easy to get rolling. The gifts from Michelle are lovely. I've received special items from her--she is an amazing artist and gift giver. Lucy you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful gift from Michelle! Thank you for the reminder that sometimes it's OK to break the rules if it serves our poet's heart. Hope you and Charles have a wonderful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a marvelous gift! And I love that "plants need privacy."

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your gift - so thoughtful. And thank YOU for the gift of the triolet and reminder that forms are scaffolds, not constraints.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Irene, I just finished reading Michelle's swap from you and now her's to you. What an excellent exchange.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?